• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Photos

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! I have recently installed Lightroom Classic on my desktop and did an initial photo import. The initial import went well, but I have some 6K photos that need imported. During the import process I stopped it planning to go back later to compelte the import. However, and much to my frustration none of the remaining photos will import to Lightroom. I have left my camera on and connected to my computer for 1 hr. plus and still nothing. Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you fix it? I use a SD cord to connect my camera to my computer and "copy" the photos. I am a newbie to Lightroom so might be doing this completely wrong, but that is what worked the first time so have tried it that same way several times now and nothing.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say "much to my frustration none of the remaining photos will import to Lightroom". Why not? What happens? Please explain in as much detail as you can, and/or show us screen captures (use the "Insert Photos" icon to include your screen captures in your reply). If there is an error message, please quote the exact completed unedited word-for-word error message.

Also, check to make sure the camera battery hasn't drained to zero, and that somehow the connection with the camera hasn't gone to sleep and that the camera hasn't gone to sleep/turned itself off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I really recommend you NOT import directly from your camera with a cable. If the battery gets low, like DJ_Paige said, you might lose everything. 

Here is what I learned many years ago  - as recommended by the Adobe creators of LR.

Use a card reader and COPY all your photos from the card to a folder (and label that folder if you wish) on your desktop, then eject your card reader and card.

Do NOT yet erase your card - WHY? because now you have two copies of your photos like 2 copies of the same negatives.

Next, launch Lightroom and import the photos from the folder on your desktop.

You can choose to copy, copy as DNG, or just add the photos from that folder. (Personally I always copy as DNG, thereby leaving the original NEF or CR2 or CR3 or whatever file format your camera takes as originals in that folder)

I also select (or create) a folder in my Photo File Library - such as labeled by date or project, on an external drive  - which becomes my permanent photo library.

Once the photos are "imported" in your LR catalog,  you can organize and edit as you wish.  

It is always good to have at least 2 or 3 copies of all your photo files themselves, in separate locations (separate drives) - in case of hardware failure...which happens!

Take a look at the free Ebook from the LightroomQueen here - so you can really learn LR... it will prove well worth your time.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I really recommend you NOT import directly from your camera with a cable. If the battery gets low, like DJ_Paige said, you might lose everything. 

I didn't say or imply "you might lose everything" in this case. And I don't believe that is true. Your photos would still be on the camera card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know YOU did not say "lose everything" I did!

- You simply warned about the battery level, and that is great advice.

I still recommend not importing directly from a camera. Card readers are inexpensive and easier.

Also, I have heard from some users that when the battery died in their camera, many files were corrupted and they could not import them afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines