• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing RAW images

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE UPDATED ALL THE MY MAC OS SOFTWARE AND I STILL CANNOT "ADD" PHOTOS TO MY LIGHTROOM! I FEEL LIKE IVE TRIED EVERYTHING PLZZZZ HELP!

My you that the only option its giving me is the options to either COPY or COPY AS DNG.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

This sounds like you are trying to ADD photos from a memory card or a removable drive. The ADD option is switched off in that case, because this would be asking for troubles. ADD will only add the images to the catalog, not copy them to your hard disk. That means that if you reformat the memory card in the camera to start using it again for new photos, your existing photos will be lost. To safeguard people against this common and fatal mistake, Adobe decided to disable ADD for these types of sto

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the photos located? If they are on a memory card, that is the only option you will get. If they are on the internal drive, or an external drive you should be able to import with the Add option. If that is not available you probably need to set the security preferences to allow Lightroom access to the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is information about the security settings here. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you are trying to ADD photos from a memory card or a removable drive. The ADD option is switched off in that case, because this would be asking for troubles. ADD will only add the images to the catalog, not copy them to your hard disk. That means that if you reformat the memory card in the camera to start using it again for new photos, your existing photos will be lost. To safeguard people against this common and fatal mistake, Adobe decided to disable ADD for these types of storage media.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the safest ways to import photo files into Lightroom, is to make a folder on your desktop and copy or drag the photo files into that folder. Bonus is that you have a backup copy  of your photo files in addition to their original location (usually a memory card). Then you can launch LR, and in the Import Dialog box,  after directiong LR to import from that folder, you should have all 4 options: Copy as DNG, Copy, Move and Add. Copy as DNG adds the photo files to the LR catalog, makes a copy of the photofile and turns it into a DNG if possible —you select the location where you want the photofile moved to in the right side panel.  Copy adds the photo file to the LR catalog and makes a copy and moves the copy to the location you select on the right hand side. Move, adds the phtoofile to the catalog and takes the photo file out of the folder and moves it to the selected location. Add only adds the photo data to the catalog, The photo files (original photos) stay where they are. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my photos were taken and saved to an SD card ive been using for at least a year. Ive had no trouble in the past with the ADD function but now it just wont let me.

UPDATE:

I tried uploading them to my external Hard drive but no luck with that either.

I think my SD could be damaged in some way. When i tried moving them to the external it said " The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “IMG_1132.CR2” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)"

It does this for all current photos Ive taken. But not for ones ive taken a year ago. so i think i may just need a new SD card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your first remark: Lightroom has disabled ADD for memory cards for a very long time. This is definitely not something new, although it may have been possible many years ago, and I really mean many.

To answer your second remark: yes, if the Finder has problems copying images from that memory card, then I would stop using it right now! Check the connection as well, however. It could also be a faulty cable.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a problem with the card, the card reader, or a cable.

If you can, try connecting the card a different way. In other words,

1. you can put the card into a card reader, and if you did that previously,

2. then try another cable? or another card reader

3. you can put the card into a laptop or imac with a built in SD card slot and try that.

4. you can put the card into the camera that was used, and making sure the camera battery is FULLY charged, connect the camera with a USB cable to the computer and try that way.

By the way - I do not work or get paid by them - however I have had fabulous results over the years with a brand called HoodmanUSA (hoodmanUSA.com) for memory cards and card readers. NEVER a failure yet for about 18 + years I think now. I know they are a little more expensive, however no failures over such a period of time is really amazing. Both for cards and card readers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I ended up buying a new card and it still didn't work. Apparently I might need a firmware update for my camera ( Canon 6D mark1). So hopefully that works. Also if the photos are "Copied" instead of "Added" will the file lose data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos have to be Added not Copied because they can't stay on the memory card. They won't lose data when they copy to your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean copied not added...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. Yes! I shouldn't try to answer questions when I first get out of bed in the morning. Thanks for correcting me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!! Yes - I too was stumped at what you had said, wondering if I had misread....now I get it!!! Order of actions;

1. Wake up

2. Get out of bed

3. Have something to eat of drink.

4. Turn on computer.

5. Turn on brain..... I often forget that step myself!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Zachariahprime !

Check my tutorial on importing images:

https://youtu.be/HBW1DyxCf8g

You are importing from a card or camera. So there are no other options.

If your images are on the harddrive, you can move or add them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines