Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Raw without any processing

Participant ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the following problem and question.

I shot some images with a Sony A7mk3 with a Vivid picture profile, which makes the images really contrasty and saturated on a Sony cam.

But I also shot raw+jpeg so there s no problem, I can edit them in any way that I choose. 

But, in the import stage of lightroom, whatever I choose, it always processes the raw files with the vivid image look. 

I tried moving the jpeg files to another folder but the raw s have the embedded jpeg burnt into them so it makes no difference. 

I tried processing with "no processing" option or the Adobe Default profile and it makes no difference. 

How can I Tell lightroom to just leave the raw as it is and just process it "normally". 

I use an external image viewer, fast stone, and I has options for viewing raw files, and it shows a clear difference between the processed raw and the jpeg file. So some software can do this. 

Can lightroom also do it?

Thanks. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your camera default settings in the Lightroom preferences. Do not use 'Camera Settings' if you do not want Lightroom to apply the vivid adjustment. Use 'Adobe Default' instead.

1 2022-04-15 17-14-10.jpg

Also make sure that you do not import with 'Embedded & Sidecar" as previews. That will use the camera previews. Use 'Standard size previews'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already said that no matter if I set Adobe Default or Camera settings lightroom processes it the same. 

And I forgot to say that I was referring to 1:1 previews. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload a sample raw to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If this is an issue of the preview seen in LrC Library coming from the camera embedded preview, and thus reflecting the in-camera image style settings, then in due course this will be replaced with a new preview. This is made by LrC from the ground up according to its own processing. And that is also what should be seen immediately in Develop.

So: do these images look "vivid" in Develop, or do they look "normal"? If the problem is only in Library, how do you know these are 1:1 previews and not ones extracted from the camera file? I guess the confirming test for that, would be to change the camera into an obviously  different image mode, and then see what then happens with the preview inside LrC.

In Develop, are these images using the camera profile that you were expecting to see? (at the top of Basic panel). AFAIK this is where the "Camera Settings" import option would manifest itself. But also, if you had some customised default processing set up for this camera as distinct from others, or if you were applying a chosen preset during import, that'd be evident in the Basic and the other image settings. And, would be within your control to set differently.

There is a fairly common colour-management related complaint of images looking different between Library and Develop. But if such a difference is only seen for these images, and not other images, I don't see how this could apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines