• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imports number not updating and import out of sequence

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experinceing two problems when importing (Lightroom Classic 10.3).

After I import from my first memory card, the sequence number doesn't update. 

I rename using a continual sequence. So when I forst import Lightroom shows the next number to be assigenes as 1184563.JPG, for example. After I imprt the first card and insert the second, that number doesn't  change and I need to remember to manually update it or get 1184563-2.JPG and so on. 

Also, the numbers that LR assigns are sometimes out of sequence. That is, the numberical sequence does not match the capture time and the photos are out of order.

Any help? Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, you are renaming the files during import, correct?

What is the syntax of your rename preset you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure the rename on import won't work correctly if you want the files to be sequential in capture time as import happens wih mutliple files ingested in parallel so it will be fairly random what numbers you get. You might want to try renaming after import. So first import and keep the original file names, make sure they are displayed in sequence of capture time and then hit rename and rename sequentially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rename at import

My syntax is

YYYYMMDD_hhmmss

If I have a bracket of photos that occur, at least in part, during the same second, LrC adds a suffix.

Note that my name preset does not include text to force a suffix

Now, does the OP mean sequence or suffix?

ahh, re-reading the posting, indeed sequence number. OP issue with out of order indicates such

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. This was a change made a while back to speed Import. 

I think that using the camera generated sequence is the better option if you're looking to have custom text and to match the capture time sequence without acutally generating capture time in the filenames. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the numbers that LR assigns are sometimes out of sequence. That is, the numberical sequence does not match the capture time and the photos are out of order.

For rename including a sequence number. If you are doing this more than once, you need to edit the template as ti redefine the starting sequence number. Otherwise, it will attempt to start at say 1, fail, and pick up at some odd number. as to not use the same file name twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two bits from your post

So when I forst import Lightroom shows the next number to be assigenes as 1184563.JPG, for example

and

After I imprt the first card and insert the second, that number doesn't  change 

Ok, two cards, photo same name? Total file name including extension?

I do not get that. Both files JPEG? Not one JPEG, one RAW.

How is it your camera is saving multiple files with the same exact name?

1184563.JPG

Is that the in camera file name, or what you rename it to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines