Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Inability to use my Lightroom 5 software

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2014 I bought and paid for Adobe Lightroom 5.   It has be quite sufficient for my needs.  I have since transferred it to my new computer and when trying to execute it a message appears on the screen to update to a new version.   this then freezes my computer and will not let me update or close the message.   I have to use Task Manager to unfreeze and cancel the AL5.   Adobe is keeping me from using a program I paid for and this is not right in my book!

{Thread moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you actually purchased was a license to use an installation of software that is owned by Adobe. And if my memory serves me correctly, that license was for a specific period of time. Lightroom 5 is no longer supported nor updated by Adobe. It is notably obsolete, it hasn't been modified for years. Operating systems have changed and that has necessitated the modification of software to function properly with today's operating systems. Lightroom 5 might be sufficient for YOUR photographic needs, but everything else that you use to support your photographic needs has changed. Whether or not Lightroom 5 will function for you is not the responsibility of Adobe. The company has moved on to newer versions that meet the requirements of today's operating systems. If Lightroom 5 works for you then that is great. If it doesn't then it's up to you to figure out how to make it work or to decide on some other solution to meet your photographic needs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The old license was a 'perpetual' license, so it did not expire. If you have a license to use the old Lightroom 5, then you are licensed to use it forever. If you can, that is, because Adobe has no obligation to assist you.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JimHess is correct about Lightroom5 being unsupported for many years. But having said that, there's no reason why it won't continue to work reasonably well on Windows systems....I can run it OK on my Win10 system, and I even used LR3 yesterday when checking something out in another forum. I'm guessing that you used the original DVD to install LR5 on the new computer, which would likely have been the base version LR5.0. So when you launch that version it should indeed tell you that an update is available (i.e. to LR5.7.1, which was that last update issued for LR5). The problem is that the download links for all the LR5 and LR6 updates were removed by Adobe some years ago, so you need to find a link if you can. Try this: Lightroom 5 for Windows (957 MB)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines