• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install 7.3 on Apple M1?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own Lightroom Classic CC 7.3. Is this version compatible with the new Apple M1 Chip ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By compatible, I assume you mean run natively, without Rosetta 2.

Yes, Lightroom Classic runs natively on M1.

For a list of Adobe apps which run natively on M1, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John Waller You folks are real quick ... I appreciate that.  Before spending big bucks on the new iMac M1 I needed to be 100% sure Lightroom Classic CC Version 7.3 works on it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, @joed22840758, Lightroom Classic has run natively on the M1 only since version 10.3 in June 2021.

As @Rob_Cullen says, your version 7.3 is older than that so it will not install on M1.

If you are a Cloud subscriber update to the current version of Lightroom Classic to run LR Classic on the M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post has me worried for you.  Why would you still be using v7.3 when the current version is at 11.2 ?

Do you pay a regular subscription fee?

There was a few unfortunate people who managed to upgrade v6 to a v7 as a 'Perpetual' version, which should not be possible without a subscription.

Can you post a screen-clip of your LrC System Info (MENU: Help > System Info...) that would assist an answer to your question.

And, yes, Version 11.2 LrC will install on Apple M1 systems. (You will not be able to get v7.3).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob.  I did purchase LR prior to subscription versions and did updates when requested. After a while, it would tell me that no update was available. As I'm not buying any new cameras, I don't need subscriptions.

Here is the info which I hope will answer your question:

Lightroom Classic version: 7.3 [ 1164630 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-CA
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.16.0 [21D62]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 2.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 306.9 MB (1.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 36,646.8 MB
Memory cache size: 494.6MB
Internal Camera Raw revision: 933
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1921MB / 8191MB (23%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1941MB / 16384MB (11%)
Displays: 1) 3360x2100

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 555X

Thank again Adobe Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need subscriptions.

Then you are 'stuck'! You will NOT be able to re-install 7.3 anywhere. It is working as an 'illegal version',

and yet your screen-clip indicates you have a "Creative Cloud" Licence- very ODD!

Are you sure you are not paying a Monthly or Annual fee to Adobe?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Rob Cullen ... not sure if I should be insulted or amused by your comments !

1) I have a License because I bought and paid for my initial Lightroom version.

2) Because Adobe took my money and issued a License, I am NOT in possession of anything illegal.

3) Perhaps you are in the habit of paying for subscriptions unknowingly, I am not.

Oh one more thing - LR is a phenominal product and much respected, but I am not "stuck" as there are plenty of alternative Programs for photo processing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cullen is correct.  You probably updated from Lr 6 to 7.3 when there was a bug  that allowed you to update without a subscription.  see here

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-73-profile... 

With your new M1 Mac you will not be able to have Lr 7.3 as an install.  You also can not install Lr 6 as it will not install under Monterey or Big Sur as the installer is 32bit.  Essentially you need to get a subscription or change to a different program.  Unfortunately all your RAW edits will not transfer to a different program so you will have to export TIFF/JPG files with edits and start over with any RAWs you want to re-edit.  Also, if you ever lost 7.3 on your old system you will not be able to install your valid version Lr6 as you have Big Sur.   Even if you had a computer you could install 6 on, the 7.3 catalog will not open on 6.  SUMMARY: If your present Lr7 install goes bad you will lose all you RAW edits unless you go subscription.  You should export edited TIFF or JPG as soon as possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joed22840758  So sorry if you felt insulted. That wasn't my intention at all. I merely wanted to state the facts, and I could have used better wording.

You 'bought and Paid' for a licence for Version-6. You do not have a licence for Version-7 as you are not paying a subscription.

@Bob Somrak  has stated the situation very well as it applies to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apologies necessary Bob as no offense taken.  I do believe both Yours and Bob's advice is sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, thanks so much for your explanation.

Q - If I purchase the subscription version, will my existing catalogs automatically transfer to the cloud ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, thanks so much for your explanation.

Q - If I purchase the subscription version, will my existing catalogs automatically transfer to the cloud ?

By @joed22840758

No....Lr Classic (all versions) work with local catalogs and locally-stored images. So if you take out a subscription and install the latest version of Lr Classic your existing catalog(s) will be upgraded to the new V11 level and you would carry on as normal. You have the OPTION to additionally sync smart previews of your Classic original images to the cloud for subsequent viewing and editing on synced mobile devices (all part of the subscription), but Classic remains predominantly centred on local storage. 

Part of the Subscription will be the desktop equivalent to the Lightroom Mobile app (called simply Lightroom), which DOES require images to be stored in the cloud, but you are under no obligation to use or even install that version of Lightroom if you don't want/need it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joed22840758 

As Jim Wilde said, your catalog will update to 11.  MAKE SURE you subscribe to the Photography Plan which has Lightroom Classic.  You will probably be very pleased with what is now in Lightroom Classic 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @Jim Wilde Jim and also @Bob Somrak 

Once I get the iMac M1 upgrade, I will subscribe.  You have alleviated my concerns as my worst fear was losing my years of pictures in the transition.

Stay tuned and thanks once again for your guidance.  

PS: Tell the Management folks that long standing owners (since LR4) and retirees should get a discounted rate. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines