• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install Lightroom 6 on a M1 MacBook Pro (14", 2021)?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

is there a way to install Lightroom 6 on a M1 MacBook Pro (14", 2021)?
I still have a Mac Book Air (2013) where Lightroom works.
Unfortunately, my installation DVD-ROM does not work with the M1 because the installer is a 32-bit version.
The program is probably in 64 bit.
Thank you for the answers.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've basically answered your own question, i.e. you cannot install Lightroom 6.xx on a 64-bit OS. If you are able to boot into Mojave or earlier then you could, but does Mojave support the M1 chip? 

An alternative would be to use migration assistant to migrate a current installation of LR6.xx from your MacBook Air, that would then allow the app to run (but you'll have the same problem if you ever need to reinstall it on the M1 device).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply. The tips were very helpful for me.
Have now transferred Lightroom 6.14 and the older version 5.7 with the migration assistant.
Strangely, I can start 5.7 without any problems and it then asks for a registration with a serial number. 6.14 only starts very briefly and then ends again.
Twice after a long time I somehow managed to get 6.14 running on the M1 and was also able to work fully with Lightroom 6.14.
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this.
Too bad, then I probably need a new software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No to directly installing Lr6 onto M1 MacBook Pro. You could try Migration Assistant, but then Lr6 would be running in emulation mode (Rosetta 2), which means any performance benefits that the M1 offers won't be available to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Have now transferred Lightroom 6.14 and the older version 5.7 with the migration assistant.
Strangely, I can start 5.7 without any problems and it then asks for a registration with a serial number. 6.14 only starts very briefly and then ends again.
Twice after a long time I somehow managed to get 6.14 running on the M1 and was also able to work fully with Lightroom 6.14.
Too bad, then I probably need a new software. :-(((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might get lucky by copying over the program files from the /Applications folder and al the Adobe related stuff from the /Library/Application support/Adobe folder. It should run in Rosetta2. Even if it works (sort of ... there are lots of bugs running Lightroom 6 in Monterey), you probably will have a very hard time getting it working as the old authorization servers are all off line and you have to call them to get an old perpetual license working on another machine. There might be a way to also copy the license key file but it still has to check against the servers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, then I probably need a new software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, then I probably need a new software. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines