• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install Lightroom Classic Software on D Drive

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is running Windows 11.  My C: drive is running out of space and I need to deinstall Lightroom Classic (Software) and reinstall it on my D: drive.  Is there a place in Adobe Creative Cloud or in the intallation process that will ask me for the destination drive where I want the software to be installed?  Are there any issues with the deinstallation process?  Will it leave any files on my C: drive?  Thanks!!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

In the Creative Cloud app, you can change the default install location to one of your choice (click on your avatar top right of the CC app's screen, select Preferences>Apps tab). Be aware, that will apply to ALL apps that are installed by the Creative Cloud app, I don't think you can choose individual locations for individual apps). Obviously you'll need to uninstall/reinstall your current apps in order to get them installed on a different drive after you change the specified location.

I don't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

I think I assumed that the C drive was large and the D drive smaller. In fact my Dell has the same configuration as yours - C drive is only 223GB and the D Drive is 1 TB. I went through the same juggling act you're going through a couple years ago, moving as much as possible off of the C drive and making sure that it doesn't get overwhelmed. I have 60 GB free space which seems reasonable. If I decide to download any more Adobe programs, though, I will need to install them on the D drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud app, you can change the default install location to one of your choice (click on your avatar top right of the CC app's screen, select Preferences>Apps tab). Be aware, that will apply to ALL apps that are installed by the Creative Cloud app, I don't think you can choose individual locations for individual apps). Obviously you'll need to uninstall/reinstall your current apps in order to get them installed on a different drive after you change the specified location.

I don't think there are any issues with the uninstall process, but I don't know if anything gets left on the C: drive. Note, however, this is just dealing with the application install (i.e. what get put in Program Files), but there are lots of support files which are also stored in other locations (default is again C: drive) which would not be affected by the change of install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Jim. I found and changed the default location setting.

Jeff Goulden Photography

Nature, Wildlife and Landscape Photography

<> www.JeffGouldenPhotography.com

Phone: (253) 691-9258

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What drive are the photos on? These usually take much more space than the photos. If your photos are on the C: drive, then I would move them first. Instructions are here (scroll down to "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to move Lightroom Classic. Just move your catalog and photos to the D drive and start the catalog from there. The app itself barely takes any space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with  Jao vdL  I have only programs and apps on my C drive. The LRC catalog is on my D drive (which is a SSD) and all images are on external hard drives. I also back up the catalog regularly to one of the external drives. The C and D drives are unlikely to ever become too crowded, and when I outgrow one of the external HDD's I just buy another.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill and Jao,

Thanks for your response.

In my original post, I didn't actually say that all my catalog and photo
files were on my C: drive. They are actually located on my 2 Terabyte D:
drive which holds all my data and has plenty of room.

My issue is with my solid state C: drive that came with my relatively new
Dell computer. It is only 221GB. I originally intended for it to hold only
the Windows operating system files. Most of the software apps that I
installed on this computer did not ask me what drive to install the
software. Instead they defaulted the installation to the C: drive. I soon
ran out of room on my C: drive. I've been deinstalling and reinstalling
software and now have about 7.7GB free. I was able to move Photoshop which
took up a large amount of space. Lightroom takes up 2.7GB and when you only
have 7.7GB free that's a huge amount to recover. Eventually I hope to move
all the software apps off C: drive and just leave it for the operating
system.

Jeff Goulden Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood and then it makes sense indeed to do this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I assumed that the C drive was large and the D drive smaller. In fact my Dell has the same configuration as yours - C drive is only 223GB and the D Drive is 1 TB. I went through the same juggling act you're going through a couple years ago, moving as much as possible off of the C drive and making sure that it doesn't get overwhelmed. I have 60 GB free space which seems reasonable. If I decide to download any more Adobe programs, though, I will need to install them on the D drive.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jill, thanks for following up. After moving Photoshop and Lightroom, I now
have 11.7 GB free space. This will give me some breathing room for a while.
I still have other big apps to move like MS Office which may be complicated.
As far as any additional Adobe apps, they should now automatically be
installed on D:. Like Jim Wilde said, Adobe Creative Cloud stores your
default location for apps.

Jeff Goulden Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines