• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing LrC alongside LR V6.14

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, apologies if this is already answered in a different thread.  I have searched but cannot find this question - if it's already answered please can someone point me to the thread(s) in question.

I currently have Lightroom V6.14 and Photoshop CS6.  Both are installed, activated and working on my Windows 10 computer.  I would like to trial and hopefully subscribe to the 20GB photography plan of LrC and PS.

Can anyone please confirm that I can install LrC and PSCC alongside my existing copies of LR6.14 and PSCS6 without breaking anything.  I am not worried about being able to use them at the same time but if I decide to bail out of the photography plan after a week or a year I would like to be able to fall back to my old perpetual versions.

I am not too concerned about LR catalog issues - I am a hobbyist photographer and will probably just start with a new empty catalog for LrC since I don't tend to revisit/reporocess old photos.

Hopefully my question makes sense, thank you in advance for help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

In case it's of use to other people in the future, having just subscribed to the 20GB photography plan, the short answer is "Yes, both LR V6.14 and PS CS6 are still on the computer and still working".

Not sure if it makes any difference how you initiate the subscription, but I did it through the Creative Could app on my PC and then installed the new LrC and PSCC from there.  Looking at the apps section I now have two copies of both Lightroom and Photoshop.  I have tried all four and everything i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can do this, but I cannot test it out and confirm, as I no longer have Lr 6 installed. I'm sure others can confirm. However, I do want to comment on this:

I am a hobbyist photographer and will probably just start with a new empty catalog for LrC since I don't tend to revisit/reporocess old photos.

This is a poor choice, in my opinion. Everything should be in one catalog, the new Lightroom Classic catalog. There is no benefit and significant disadvantages to have one catalog for photos taken before a certain date, and another catalog for photos taken after a certain date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I take your point about the LR catalog I was justing of trying to make things simpler but in actuality I probably just end up making it more complicated for myself!

Hopefully everything can co-exist.  The install path for my copy of Photoshop has "CS6" in the path so that should be good but Lightroom is installed in "\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom" with no version number hopefully LrC either installs to a different location or allows me to choose a location at install time.

With luck someone who has done exactly what I would like will come across this thread and be able to confirm either way.

In reality perhaps I just need to accept that it's time to move on from V6.14/CS6 and embrace the present! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes- "embrace the present!" You will not regret it.

AFAIK- when you have the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App installed (even for a trial of LrC & Ps)- Your installs of Lr6.14 and CS6 will both become "Subscription" versions (that makes it difficult to undo!).

So go with the Photography Plan subscription and cast Lr6 and CS6 into distant memory.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, I've decided to commit to a year of photography plan - the new masking features and many other improvements are just too tempting.  It will also be nice to have the map tab working again!

I've taken on board your thoughts about what will happen to Lr6 and CS6 but I'm sure the reality is that once I come up to date I won't want to look back so hopefully all a bit moot.

With work commitments it will probably be a day or two before I'm up and running but once I am I'll post a definitive answer as to what happens to my existing Lr6 and PS CS6 installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it's of use to other people in the future, having just subscribed to the 20GB photography plan, the short answer is "Yes, both LR V6.14 and PS CS6 are still on the computer and still working".

Not sure if it makes any difference how you initiate the subscription, but I did it through the Creative Could app on my PC and then installed the new LrC and PSCC from there.  Looking at the apps section I now have two copies of both Lightroom and Photoshop.  I have tried all four and everything is working on both the old and new versions:

Installed.jpg

I assume (but haven't tested) that if I let my subscription lapse the new versions will stop working but the old versions will continue to work.  To be honest, having now had a chance to try out some of the new tools I can't imagine wanting to go backwards!  In particular the selection tools in LrC are so fast that I am now able to make many adjustments which although I could theoretically have made the masks with the selection brush they fell in to the "life's too short" category and so just got left.

Thanks again to @dj_paige and @Rob_Cullen for your thoughts and advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, and interesting to see Ps13 and Lr6 both shown in the CC Desktop App (as subscription items!).

Be aware that catalogs are not 'backwards' compatible. So a Catalog that you use with LrC v12.01 cannot be opened with the old v6. If you want to keep both v12 and v6 running you will need to control separate catalogs.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I do know about the catalog compatibility.  At the moment I'm really enjoying the latest versions but once my year comes up for renewal I may pause the subscription for a short time to see if the old LrC& PS are still functional.  In the meantime, so many things to try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To add a couple of points to the discussion-

-To "pause" a subscription is to Cancel a CC subscription- There are penalties if cancelled within the 12month 'annual' contract.

-Subscriptions automatically renew, so after the renewal date you are locked in to another 12months.

-Once you have the Adobe Apps under the control of the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, the only way to 'go back' to the "old Lr & Ps" without a CC subscription is to do a complete wipe of all Adobe apps and re-install old Lr & Ps. You would be back to LR v6.14 & Ps?- Even if they will install in future OS versions is debatable.

Trust me, You will not want to go back!!!  I would never want to when the subscription is just a couple of cafe-coffees a month, for the latest and best package of Photography Apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines