• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inverting negative film strips in LR5?

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do invert negatives it in PS CS6 and was wondering if LR5 has that ability?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016
But the picture is blue.

When you invert the (negative) image of a Color negative, you also have the base color of the film to worry about. Color neg film has an orange base.  Inverted it becomes blue!

For B&W monochrome negatives  just inverting the tone curve is acceptable. Color negatives need a lot more work.

For some good advice read this link-

Camera Scanning | dpBestflow

Inverting the tone curve in Lightroom, also has the side effect of reversing several of the Basic Develop sliders! which

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Tone Curve to invert images.

Click the icon to enable Point Curve editing. Drag the corner points to their opposites.

toneCurve.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David.

Seems so simple once someone points it out.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a lot of these to do you can save that Tone Curve as a Develop Preset. Then it can be applied with a button click. Or to many images at once via the Quick Develop panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point Rikki, thanks for the tip, I do have a bunch of film strips. I shooting them in RAW on my 5D M2 with a DYI setup so far I'm getting good results. I hsve PS6 but am thinking LR5 is more suited for my work.

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, Custom Point Curve is no longer available in LR 6.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is. Just click the icon and adjust the curve.

The word "Custom" doesn't appear until you start manipulating the curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What icon? Also, I can't select RGB, it only has contrast adjustments. Using Lightroom 6.5 (NOT CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See reply #1 in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, got it, the little curve icon. Thanks. I have been able to convert a film color negative (shot using a digital camera, bellows, macro lens, and slide duplicator) to a positive image in LR. And saved it as a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch by Per.

You need to click the icon so that the sliders are not shown. Then you can move the endpoints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, and works.  But the picture is blue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the picture is blue.

When you invert the (negative) image of a Color negative, you also have the base color of the film to worry about. Color neg film has an orange base.  Inverted it becomes blue!

For B&W monochrome negatives  just inverting the tone curve is acceptable. Color negatives need a lot more work.

For some good advice read this link-

Camera Scanning | dpBestflow

Inverting the tone curve in Lightroom, also has the side effect of reversing several of the Basic Develop sliders! which can be a surprise. If you make a preset of an inverted tone curve you can also modify it to include contrast (the traditional "S" curve)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan on buying a professional scanner now.  Less work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good choice. I believe scanning with a quality scanner produces a much better image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can be recommended ?

I once had a 35mm negative scanner that actually scanned the negatives and produced very

high quality results.

There is a misnomer in the modern description 'scanner' because they all appear to be just a camera

in a box.

With and old 'camera' model I removed the base and used it to copy medium format negatives placed

on a light box.

It is strange that manufacturers have not worked out that this can be done and produced a

convertible 'scanner'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's dumb that there isn't a simple invert checkbox.   You can invert the curve, but then shadows are highlights and it's pretty confusing to work with.  

I'm capturing my negatives with a DSLR and it gives results at least as good as a flatbed scanner, and it's so much faster than scanning.   More and more people are working this way as full-frame DSLRs have come down in price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can I suggest you add a vote (button- top of page)  and a post at-  Lightroom/Camera Raw: Ability to invert negative scans to positives | Photoshop Family Customer Comm...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines