• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is my understanding correct? (Colour spaces & display profiles)

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evening all,

So I have been doing some self research on what colour space is & how it works within photography and post processing, however there is one area I would like some confirmation if I may of my understanding.

I currently use an iMac 27” 5k 2020, using the default ’iMac’ Display Colour Profile (not sure if this is the best iMac in built dismally profile to use for LrC), along with Lightroom Classic, where I use the default colour settings within the software. The only thing I do change, is the colour space to sRGB when I export my jpgs which are always for web & digital viewing. I also have no interest in calibrating my system using hardware, for the level of photography I do and the fact I’m happy with the result I currently get 

However after doing the research I have noticed one thing now (never noticed it before), so just want to check my understanding of linking it to my research. But essentially I have noticed on my iMac that even when using the default display profile, if I view an image I've not exported or like the desktop icon graphics or FB for example, the colours look slightly different colour wise to images viewed in LrC or ones (jpgs) I have exported and viewing say on Flickr. 

Is this because when using those kinds of software or viewing images I have proceed and exported, they are colour managed software and so use their own colour profile (sRGB ect..) within the actual software/website/image space, which is what you see (overriding the display profile). But then if viewing something that isn't colour profile managed like desktop graphics or certain website, then you just see the colours as per your displays current colour display profile?

Essentially I'm wondering are all programs colour managed or do some just base their colours of the monitor Display Profile?

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I apologies but I have just had a thought! I think I’m being stupid aren’t I!!!!

Of course images will look different in Lr & my exported because I have processed them to look different? So the reason why the desktop icons may look de saturated compared to the colours of an image in Lr, would be because I processed it to have more saturation then the icons? So like Maciej Maths Skyba has said it’s nothing to do with application dependency or colour Profile difference. It’s purely because the different images are the way I processed them?

If that right, I feel a right donut now! Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Windows user myself, but as far as I know, all native Mac software is color managed, including Safari.

All other major web browsers, like Chrome, Opera and Firefox are also color managed.

In order to display correct colors, color managed software converts the colors from the document profile (in your case sRGB) to the monitor profile. This depends on the monitor profile being sound and correct, i.e. it has to describe the characteristics of the monitor accurately.

So if you export an edited image from Lightroom, the exported image should display the same as the edited image in Lightroom.

And if you export an unedited image, the exported image should display the same as the unedited image in Lightroom.

If you get different colors doing the above, you probably have a defective monitor profile.

Please clarify exactly how you are comparing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you very much for your reply.

I apologies for my confusion, however the first part of your reply, has actually helped with my understanding of how it works 🙂

As for me examples, again apologies, but your right. So what I mean was that the image does look the same comparing it between LrC & the exported. What I 

mean was the only difference was for example the un-editied RAW image being viewed in Lightroom, compared to the edited export image. Also the colours of the edited images in LrC or my exported jpgs may look more vibrant than say colours of safari, but that's not down to colour or display profiles as you say, and it's actually down to just the fact iv edited it to look more vibrant but the colours are actually the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok just a thought sRGB is not a "Display Color Profile" it is a Color Space. If you are not going to calibrate your monitor then it is appropriate to use the default supplied with your iMac.

By default, LrC uses a ProPhoto RGB (Malissa) color space while working in the Develop module and the Previews used by the Library module are Adobe RGB color space.

When you export jpeg files from LrC you get to select the color space assigned to the file. This is appropriate for sharing images on the internet where you have no control over the equipment others are using to view the files.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Denis for your reply, very helpful indeed 🙂

After doing all this reasearch I did actually find out that RGB profiles were colour spaces & not display profiles and its because of this I decided because I'm not calibration good my screen, to stick with the default 'iMac' display, because yeah as you say RGB profiles are colour spaces & even though they are listed under the display profiles, they should not be used for that purpose.

As for LrC, thank you for confirming which colour spaces are used throughout very helpful, so may I just confirm that currently I export for my online & digital viewing use (eg iMac & iPad) using sRGB & not Adobe RGB, is this okay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually sync from LrC to Creative Cloud which are Smart Previews, I am not sure if those are in Adobe RGB or sRGB but I am sure if you send sRGB jpegs to your iPad they will display just fine.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant! thank you very much for all your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines