• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is picking individual photos in survey broken?

Participant ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am going crazy, but it seems to me one of the most fundamental ways to work with Survey mode in Lightroom Classic is broken in the recent release.

I thought that I could look at a colletion of photos in Survey view, select one, go to the Loupe view, give it a star, reject it, pick it, click on the stars underneath, then go back to Survey and all or any of these operations are done on JUST the one photo. 

But now it seems, any and all of these selection/rating actions are being applied to ALL of the photos I've currently selected, even when I am in the Loupe mode, even when I just click under one photo. 

The only thing I seem to be able to do to one photo is to hit the X button and that removes it from the selected group as well as from the Survey view.

I understand that the rationale here - I am applying these operations on ALL of the selected photos, but what's the use of Survey if I can't actually grade/label/flag individual photos? I am sure (ha!!!) I used to be able to do this, but perhaps I'm mistaken. Is there anyway I can have these actions only apply to individual photos?

A quick search on the web about Survey mode lists exactly these kinds of things that you can do in that mode (e.g.: https://digital-photography-school.com/choosing-images-using-survey-view-in-lightroom/) so I'm not the only one who has this expectation.

Perhaps this is some kind of "new" setting.feature I can undo?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a bug.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/has-lightroom-survey-view-changed/td-p/...

I **NEVER** use Sync, and indeed "Auto Sync" was turned on. I typically HIDE this RH panel anyway in Survey mode to have the screen space, so how did this even get turned on to begin with? A new setting in the new release of LR_Classic?

In any case, this is "solved",

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how AutoSync got turned on for you. It can certainly be frustrating to discover this has been active unknowingly.

Just confirming that in my (Windows 11.1) software AutoSync is not getting automatically turned on / off when changing between Grid / Loupe / Survey views. No change in that, from previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But now it seems, any and all of these selection/rating actions are being applied to ALL of the photos I've currently selected, even when I am in the Loupe mode, even when I just click under one photo.

I am not experiencing this in Windows 11, Lightroom Classic 11.1. It seems as if the explanation about auto-sync is correct. Perhaps from now on when you discuss issues, you could provide the basic information of Operating system version NUMBER and Lightroom Classic version NUMBER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Auto Sync was turned on by shifting between modes, I can't reproduce it changing its state either. Mac 12.1, LR Classic 11.1 (*sorry!)

I've noticed this problem (and ignored it until I had a whole bunch of photos to look through) since updating to both a new machine and a new LR. Perhaps this is some kind of default setting on a new install? That's the only thing I can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so taking of autosync solves this, but it DID NOT happen this way before! I ALWAYS have sync on, it's how I work, and only recently did it start applying things like picking/flagging/staring to ALL images in N mode. I'm not in Develope, so why does that sync even apply?!? SO frustrating! Now when I start making edits, I forget I have to turn sync back ON, so now I have to go back and redo things I thought were syncing! ARG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I was wrong... I swear it worked when I tried it, but after I posted and went back to editing, it went back to applying to ALL with sync off.  <sigh> Now back to it taking longer to edit. Thanks, Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything new on this? The broken survey mode is really critical. To very fast edit a lot of shots (going from 500 to 10 keepers) is using survey mode in combination with flags and filter showing no flagged images only. Now, every image in survey mode gets the same flag. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - forget it - saw the Auto Sync now!

(Not possible to delete a post?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to avoid any possible confusion, I'll add that even if you've checked AutoSync is turned OFF (or on) so far as the Develop module, it may still be turned ON (or off) so far as the Library module. Those two controls are independent.

I haven't yet found any key shortcut for AutoSync so I think the only way to check (if the right panel happens to be collapsed), may be to open that up and review the state of the toggle switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines