• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a description of the "Show Luminance Map" option in the Masking environment?

Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a tutorial for my clients on the entire Masking environment in Classic and I frankly don't see how the "luminance map"option is any different from just seeing the overlay. It changes the color of the overlay to a bright red...is there something I'm missing?

Steve Gandy
Photographer - Instructor
stevegandy.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is intended to suspend hue information from the image, such that the selectivity of the masking within the image, vs the image itself, can be better seen. Otherwise things can get very visually muddled in practice - assuming both mask and image are even both previewed together, which may not be the case depending on current Overlay setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it's presenting the same luminance map you'd see with the Alt Amount slider in Sharpening.. 

Help says: 

Select the Show Luminance Mask check box to view the luminance information of the photo in black and white representation. The part in red color shows the actual area masked by the Luminance Range Mask.

So Richard is right with no Hue, but also no Saturation.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines