• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to choose which frame is dominant in Photo Merge?

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot a lot of trains and school buses with my Mavic 2 pro drone set on AEB burst and even though the trains and buses move during the exposures, it amazes me how well Lightroom's deghosting feature works. The only problem is that I can find no way to choose which frame dominates, ie: the frame with the bus or train in the position I want to keep for the final HDR. Is there away to choose a dominant frame?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

I believe you guys misunderstood the question. I think that the question is not how to order images inside a stack, the question is if you can select which bracket is used for deghosting an HDR merge. To illustrate: suppose your brackets show a moving bus. On image1 the bus is right in the middle of the frame, on image2 the bus has moved to the right side. Lightroom deghosts the HDR image perfectly and only shows one bus - in the middle of the photo. But you would have preferred that Lightroom u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'm going to assume you know how to select a group of images (like a Stack that hasn't been Stacked yet?).

Well, do that, Click and then Shift-click so all of the appropriate images are selected. Then click ON the image you want in front and drag that to the front of the group. That's it. When you close that stack, that's the image that will be shown.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd concur with Gary_sc above, but I have read here that sometimes clicking the thumbnail border may not provide the selection/setting of the initial image in the sequence or stack as anticipated.

Maybe that might have been happening to you unknowingly.

Happy to stand corrected though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you guys misunderstood the question. I think that the question is not how to order images inside a stack, the question is if you can select which bracket is used for deghosting an HDR merge. To illustrate: suppose your brackets show a moving bus. On image1 the bus is right in the middle of the frame, on image2 the bus has moved to the right side. Lightroom deghosts the HDR image perfectly and only shows one bus - in the middle of the photo. But you would have preferred that Lightroom used the photo where the bus was on the right side. Can you tell Lightroom that you want that?

The answer is no, you can't. If you want to influence how deghosting is done, then you will have to use Photoshop Merge to HDR Pro. In the HDR Pro dialog you can indeed select the photo that you want to use for deghosting.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thank all of you for your help. Yes, Johan, this is exactly what I meant. It looks like I must quit using Lightroom to merge my photos and learn to use Photoshop Merge to HDR Pro. I just checked it out and it doesn’t look difficult, but it does it would be more convenient and quick if I could do it in Lightroom.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it does appear it would be..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's more convenient if you could do it in Lightroom, but you can't. What you can do is only use Photoshop for the merge, and then bring back the 32 bits HDR image in Lightroom for processing. Choose '32 bits' as output in HDR Pro.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well we all learn something everyday in this forum!

Any idea of the Photoshop version the HDR Pro is in, as I dont run with all upgrades as soon as they are released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HDR Pro is just a part of Photoshop. Has been for a long time. To make sure you use the latest version, use the latest version of Photoshop (which is 22.1.1).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines