• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to force Lightroom to process files in order?

Participant ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom to convert file formats for several thousand images at a time and it processes them in random order.  Because it frequently crashes I often have to re-start the process.  And because they're not processed in order I have to manually search through the processed files to see which ones were not processed and manually select those again.  I don't have that issue when I batch process the images in Photoshop but the Lightroom conversion is much faster when it works correctly.

Is there any way to force it to process the images in order so it's easier to restart the process when Lightroom crashes?

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by "use Lightroom to convert file formats"? The only file conversion function in LrClassic is the "Convert to DNG" process, which typically processes one at a time in order, so restarting should be quite simple.

Or are you referring to File Export to produce derivative files in different formats? In which case, I would have thought the easiest thing to do after the crash is to redo the complete export again.....if you have the "Existing Files" checkbox set to "Ask what to do", when you restart the export you will be given a list of the files which have already been exported and thus already exist, plus various options. If you select the "Skip" option, all the previously exported files are skipped and only the not yet done files are processed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK- having it skip existing files might do the trick.  Didn't know about that option.

Regarding which light room, it's the "classic" version.

Regarding what I'm doing, I'm converting Nikon NEF format to TIF format.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To speed export, Lightroom mulithreads. As it can only process one file per thread, it opens a number of different files together based on available cores. You can't choose to go back to single thread, and if you did, the loss of speed would far outweigh the inconvenice of restarting using the Skip option Jim mentioned. 

Look, I appreciate it's a pain, but exporting means Lightroom is applying all your edits at the time of export. It's really processer intensive, even with the new GPU additions, so perhaps try smaller export amounts? Find the balance where it's completing for you. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom (Lr icon) or Lightroom Classic (LrC icon)? What version NUMBER?

What "process" are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines