Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue printing in Lightroom

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having an issue printing to my Canon Pro-100s from Lightroom. When I choose a paper profile and disable the printers color management I get a dramatic change in the picture quality. It also happens if I do not disable the color management. The only way to avoid it is to use the printer settings. I don’t get this issue printing from Lightroom. My monitor has been calibrated.

The picture changes from this:-

22C38CC4-5908-4C5C-8EAF-3C804500811C.jpeg

To this

42C332C5-11B3-45A2-BEB0-F13E81A05D03.jpeg

Anyone any ideas ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Found the solution on a different Adobe forum and it worked.

Now, since 2012 when I started using Lightroom as well as Photoshop, my normal workflow has been to import images into Lightroom, do preliminary adjustments, then edit further in Photoshop.  Then I print (or try to print) images through Photoshop.  But with the cast problem still there, I decided this time to try printing from Lightroom.  No difference.  Then I looked more closely at the Lightroom printer settings.  Good grief - they we

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you checking the color management settings in the printer dialog itself and not just in Lightroom? The problem you are describing and illustrating is indicative of double color management. In the one instance it appears that both Lightroom and the printer are applying color management. You need to make sure that when you click on page setup in Lightroom that brings up the printer driver dialog from Canon that you either have color management enabled or disabled appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure I have disabled. Are you able to do a small step by step guide for Canons that I can try ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible this can help:

https://www.colourphil.co.uk/printing-canon-pc.shtml

How to Use ICC Printer Color Profiles in Lightroom Canon printers Mac

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,will try them and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have now went through both and followed them but still the same result. Is there a hidden menu for the printer somewhere ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure I have disabled. Are you able to do a small step by step guide for Canons that I can try ?

I have the older Pixma Pro 100, so I don't know if the interface is the same. After you click on the page set up button in Lightroom, this is the printer driver dialog that appears:

Printer setup 1.JPG

I have to check that box. If it is already checked I have to deselect it and check it again to bring up the next dialog:

Printer setup 2.JPG

Here is where I choose "none", and then I choose my paper profile and other settings in the Lightroom print module. This method has consistently worked and provided excellent results for me. You have probably followed these steps, but since you asked I am showing what I have done using my printer. Sorry for the delay, but I just got back online this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am following those steps but no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same printing problem in Lightroom (but not in Photoshop). Going through the process above worked perfectly for Lightroom. Looking in the Print setup in Photosohp 2023, I saw that the checkbox was unchecked there also, but my Photoshop printouts (on my Canon Pixma Pro-100) were fine and unaffected by this.. Not sure why Lightroom was sensitive to these checkboxes but Photoshop was not. Anyway, I happy to be able to print in Lightroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it actually print bad? It is not unlikely that the printer dialog is just not correctly managed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks really bad, just as it is in the pictures above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

Hi,

I am having an issue printing to my Canon Pro-100s from Lightroom. When I choose a paper profile and disable the printers color management I get a dramatic change in the picture quality.

Disable Color management where? That's probably the first issue. Please upload a screen capture of the print dialog.

And try testing with a color reference file first, something like this:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am definately disablng the colour management correctly. Something else is wrong but don’t know what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution on a different Adobe forum and it worked.

Now, since 2012 when I started using Lightroom as well as Photoshop, my normal workflow has been to import images into Lightroom, do preliminary adjustments, then edit further in Photoshop.  Then I print (or try to print) images through Photoshop.  But with the cast problem still there, I decided this time to try printing from Lightroom.  No difference.  Then I looked more closely at the Lightroom printer settings.  Good grief - they were set to allow the printer to manage colours.  Because I usually print from Photoshop, I'd never looked at these settings before.  So I corrected the printer settings in Lightroom and - OMG - perfect print!!!!  I then printed from Photoshop, using a different photo but now with the Lightroom and Photoshop print settings set correctly.  Again, a perfect print.

So, I can only assume that Lightroom embeds print instructions into the images that are imported into it, regardless of whether the LR print facility is used, and that these embedded instructions are then not overwritten by Photoshop but sit alongside any Photoshop print choices that you make.    And the result?   A clash of colour management instructions and that nasty, nasty magenta cast.

So, to conclude this long-winded story:  if you use both LR and PS, make sure both have the correct printer settings, regardless of which program you print from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batman385  wrote

So, I can only assume that Lightroom embeds print instructions into the images that are imported into it, regardless of whether the LR print facility is used, and that these embedded instructions are then not overwritten by Photoshop but sit alongside any Photoshop print choices that you make.  

All the 'instructions' are/can be burned into a print template. If you use such a template but the wrong parameters, you'll get poor prints.

Actually Photoshop does burn some print parameters into the document. Open a document in Photoshop, go into the Print dialog, change something but don't print, try closing the document, you'll get a dialog to save.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines