Exit

Issue: Recognised faces not creating keywords

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS 11.6.1

LRc 11.0.1

Face recognition has worked, and the indivdual is tagged.

However the relevant Keyword Tag has not been created

This is rememdie if I click inside each tag and hit return - but this is a slow and laborious process for 1200 pictures, and kind of defeats the purpose..

Other similar problems in the past seem to have involved imports from other programs (esp Picassa), but this is not the case here.

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 14.35.59.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, strange that you do not see the person Keyword in the [Keywording] panel.

If you collapse the heirarchy of "-What" (right down to "Birds")- Do you see the Persons Name as a keyword further down in the 'List' panel? Perhaps in a "-Who" parent KW.

Can you find the keyword "Guy Goodwin" by entering it in the Filter KW field?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the relevant key word only appears once, in the ~Who heirarchy and it's not being applied. I'm trying running through multiple scenarios now to see if I can replicate it

1) if I manually draw the face box, type the name in, hit return 

2) if LR recognises the face and I click tick, with one or multiple selected

3) if I drag and drop multiple or single recongnised faces on to a named face

4) select one or multiple unnamed people and then type in a name

Can't repeat it at present...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more thoughts:

- Your screenshot shows there is a smart preview for the photo. If add face tags to a new photo that doesn't have a smart preview, does it create the keyword?

- Select one of the photos for which you haven't yet hit enter on the face tags (i.e. that doesn't have a keyword yet).  Do Metadata > Save Metadata To File and upload both the original raw and its .xmp sidecar to Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar and post the sharing link here. We could get some clues as to what might be going wrong by putting the files under the microscope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

1) I'll have to try, but I'm findingit tough to replicatre the problem reliably, and most of my shots have smart previews, so itmay take a bit of fiddling

2) https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sr1ghk67h3kape/_MG_3338.dng?dl=0

Here's one - its a dng, so no sidecar...

thanks for any insight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sr1ghk67h3kape/_MG_3338.dng?dl=0"

That photo's metadata contains a face rectangle labeled "Mavis Harvey":

[XMP]           Region Name                     : Mavis Harvey
[XMP]           Region Type                     : Face
[XMP]           Region Area H                   : 0.25748
[XMP]           Region Area W                   : 0.17149
[XMP]           Region Area X                   : 0.26539
[XMP]           Region Area Y                   : 0.38669

but it doesn't contain any keywords.  Normally, LR records a named face rectangle and a keyword with the same name.

The metadata shows it was modified by Lightroom 6.1.  I recall there was some bug with saving face metadata when face recognition was first introduced in LR 6, but I can't find the bug report.  

Were all of these problem photos first face-tagged in LR 6? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - in the last 24 hours.  I now have to work out a remediation plan of how to find the photos where this has occurred.  The work around appears to be to go in via Faces with your entire library selected, and double click on each named face, select all the faces that come up, and then check that the key word is "Firstname Secondname", not "Firstname Secondname*" and take the asterisk out if it is.  This is, charitably, as slow as f**k

I have 414 named individuals over 32,000 photos.  Thanks Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"check that the key word is "Firstname Secondname", not "Firstname Secondname*" and take the asterisk out if it is."

That "*" is another key to a legacy data problem from an older version of LR. LR 11.01 won't let you enter a face name or a keyword name containing a "*". 

Here's a method that will let you quickly find all photos that "Firstname Secondname*" face names appearing above the face rectangles.

1. Select all the photos and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. (You could use the Library Filter bar's Metadata column Metadata Status to find all photos that need saving and saving just those.)

2. Use the Any Filter plugin with this query to find all photos that have a saved face name containing a '*':

johnrellis_0-1637695318887.png

3. Do View > People.  Only those photos with face names ending in '*' will be displayed. You can select a stack of faces with the same name, edit that name, and all the photos in that stack will be changed.

I thought about providing an Exiftool script that actually corrected the face names and ensured there were matching keywords, but I just discovered a bug with Metadata > Read Metadata From File that would prevent that script from operating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines