Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with histograms in LR classic

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have an issue that I do not fully understand with histograms in LR classic. To illustrate, find here below an example of the behaviour I am observing. When I import a photo, the histogram looks quite smooth (see photo below), but then after a few seconds when I click on the photo again the histogram is changed and lots of spikes appear that were not there before (see second photo below). Of course it's the exactly the same photo and not that I have reimported it. Anyone can explain what is happening?

Much appreciated the help!

Jesus

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 15.22.26.pngScreenshot 2022-08-08 at 15.21.33.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

@Jesus255651648rvq wrote:

Hi thedigitaldog,

The imported documents are RAW and the change in the histogram happens when clicking on the photo, so the spiky version of the histogram in the Library module must correspond to the RAW photo (with AdobeRGB colorspace, as coming from my camera with this colorspace in its settings).

Not really. Raw is raw; there is no defined color space as yet. It doesn't matter what you set on your camera for a color space; this is only for the JPEG. The Histogr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you are seeing here is explained as follows: When you import a photo, Lightroom will initially show you the embedded preview. This is probably an sRGB preview. Then Lightroom generates its own preview, and because that is in AdobeRGB, the histogram is no longer that smooth because the tones are spread further apart in this larger color space.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, this is what I thought as well. I am importing RAW and the change takes place when clicking on the photo (so when the JPEG preview changes to the RAW photo). But in fact the histogram changes from the spiky version to the smoother version when going from Library to Develop modules (remaining the smoother version in the Develop module)... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this raw or rendered (TIFF, JPEG) document you imported?

Next, the Histogram outside soft proofing should be showing you the data based on the underlying processing color space, nothing to do with the previews which differ in Develop module from all other modules.

Speaking of Develop, view the Histogram there not in Library which on this end, shows a similar difference in smoothness.

Click on say an sRGB JPEG in Library, then with it still selected, move to Develop. Now type the S key and select sRGB; notice the differences in the Histograms.

The bottom line however is this; this isn't anything to worry about and always view Histograms and color previews of your data in Develop for the most accurate view of this data.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thedigitaldog,

Many thanks for all the explanations. The imported documents are RAW and the change in the histogram happens when clicking on the photo, so the spiky version of the histogram in the Library module must correspond to the RAW photo (with AdobeRGB colorspace, as coming from my camera with this colorspace in its settings). Indeed, in Develop module the smoother version "reappears" while in the Library module the spiky version is still present...so I guess both are AdobeRGB and both the RAW version... but it looks a bit odd that the histagram changes, right?

For the sake of completeness I will try to take a picture with RAW+JPEG and see what you mention (I only shoot RAW, yeah one of these 🙂

Cheers,

Jesus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jesus255651648rvq wrote:

Hi thedigitaldog,

The imported documents are RAW and the change in the histogram happens when clicking on the photo, so the spiky version of the histogram in the Library module must correspond to the RAW photo (with AdobeRGB colorspace, as coming from my camera with this colorspace in its settings).

Not really. Raw is raw; there is no defined color space as yet. It doesn't matter what you set on your camera for a color space; this is only for the JPEG. The Histogram is showing you the raw using the underlying ACR engine color space, a brother if you will, to ProPhoto RGB.

I believe the Histogram in Library is cached for speed (like Photoshop does) and the Histogram in Develop isn't (like when you click on the Histogram triangle in Photoshop). The two appear nearly the same which would not if they had different color space. As you see as suggested, by typing S key and picking something else. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it! Many thanks for your help in understanding.

cheers,

Jesus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines