Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with loading a backup catalog

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to load a LR backup catalog, I get the following error message:

Lightroom cannot use the catalog named "xyz" because it is not writable and cannot be opened.

I have been using this catalog for a few years with no issues and I back it up on an external drive every time I exit.  I am a novice photoprgher so I don't use it every day.  Please help, I still have all of my photos but I do not have any that I have edited in LR.  Desperate.  Thanks 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the new version of LR

I allways make a backup when exiting LR.  Just out of curiosity I tried to open the backups version, but the message comes: "Cannot be opened since it is write protected".

The backup location (Windows 10) has Read/Write rights for everybody, so I am puzzled on the "why"

Anybody can give advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom (the version that stores images in the cloud)? You posted in the Lightroom ecosystem forum. If so, then you do not have a catalog. Your catalog is in the cloud too. The 'Lightroom library' is not a catalog but just a local cache. You cannot replace it by a backup and expect that to work, because the cloud always takes priority. If you have a problem with this cache, then remove it and let Lightroom rebuild it.

If you use Lightroom Classic then you do have a catalog that can be replaced by a backup, but then we should move your post to the appropriate forum so you have a better chance to get the correct answer.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan,

I'am a "classic" user on a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Cannot be opened since it is write protected".

Is that the exact unedited word-for-word error message? If not, please provide the exact unedited word-for-word error message.

The backup location (Windows 10) has Read/Write rights for everybody

It's not the backup location that you need to check. It is the folder where the backup is placed after you unzip it that has to have Read/Write permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
DJ,
thanks, this solved my problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines