Issues after setting up Lightroom Classic Sync

Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I attempted to set up Sync between LrC and Lr. 

I went into the Sync preferences and chose to sync Lightroom's images to the external hard drive where all of my images are stored. I also selected the "Use subfolders formatted by capture date" option. 

A few things happened that I wasn't crazy about:

1.  I forgot to create a new folder on the hard drive for the Lightroom images. 
  2. Several hundred images got dumped right into the root directory of the drive (since I didn't create a folder), rather than into a subfolder with capture date. I am not sure why. Maybe Lightroom couldn't read the capture date?
  3.  All of the subfolders for capture date got created on in the root directory of the drive, rather than in a dedicated folder (see #1 above).

This has turned my external drive into a mess. I would like to start fresh and re-do the sync so that the images are stored in a folder on the external drive, rather than right on the root directory of the drive. How do I do this? 

The other problem is that I'm getting sync errors for about 45 files that LrC can't upload to Lr, because it can't find the original image. Unfortunately, I lost these original files a few years ago when I was migrating to a new computer. Do I need to delete them entirely in order to avoid sync issues? Even though the originals are gone, I can still view them at low resolution within LrC so I'd rather not delete them for good. I guess I could just move them out of the collection that is syncing to Lr?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I figured this out. I removed all of the images from my external drive, and then I rebuilt the sync cache locally. I turned sync back on, after creating a new folder on the external drive and choosing it as the sync location. The files are downloading again and it seems to be working well. 

For the missing images, I removed those from the collection that was syncing from LrC to Lr, and put them into a new collection in LrC and chose NOT to sync that. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines