• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Windows) Panel is limited to 1600 items (folders, keywords, etc)

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom bug - hit a folder limit and unable to select the newly imported folder.452497 photographs across many drives in one catalog.The S drive has 214341 photos. It's the largest drive and so had many more folders than the previous drives.S:\Master Photos\ contains ~1633 folders. I know that's a lot but that is how her filing system was started. Those are the sequential numbers from 2220 - 3853 but there may be a sub folder or two or deleted folder in there so that's why the number is ~ approximate.Folders are labeled "sequential number"-"date" so 3853-20150316Adding one more folder caused Lightroom 4 to not allow the last folder to be clicked on and not show any images. The T:\ drive (offline, collapsed and below the S:\ drive) was collapsed and the label was overlaid on top of the "Collections" section label. Updated to latest version of Lightroom 5 via her new cloud account, had it rebuild the catalog and the same problem occurred.Created a sub folder S:\Master Photos\2012 and moved 15 of the folders into that folder. The 2012 folder was expanded so the list was actually one row larger and the last good folder wouldn't open. I collapsed the 2012 folder and now all the bottom folders were accessible.It appears there is an object limitation or a fixed array or something that is causing the folder list to become finite. She said a similar thing happens on her keyword list until she collapses some of the groups but I didn't check that out.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Cross-referencing the existing Investigation report to this thread. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 194 Replies 194
194 Comments
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I never played with any font size and didn't add any. When I had to update my catalogue sometime in October, I believe after an LRC update, that's where it seem to have occur . It it this or recently I had to change all of my HHD in my NAS and map all my drive again. Not sure if this would have any impact,but I don't think so, as he I add a picture today and would give it a name in the keyword such as ''winter'', I unable to see winter in the keyword list. Btw, my font in the interface is at Automatic (default).

Thanks John and if you have any other tips, please fire them my way, as didn,t manage d to solved this yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 'winter' into the 'filter text entry box' at top of 'Keyword List' panel (i.e. shown in your original screenshot). This should show 'winter' thus allowing you apply it to your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"my font in the interface is at Automatic (default)."

It's possible that Windows Settings > Display > Scale And Layout has changed (e.g. from 100% to 125%) unbeknownst to you, or it's possible that LR's Font Size has changed silently.  Both Windows and LR infrequently change settings behind the scenes.

It's also possible that you imported photos at some point that had additional keywords not in the current keyword list, e.g. when you were reorganization your external drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Ian's suggestion for finding keywords towards the end of the list that aren't displayed, another workaround is to introduce heirarchy into your keyword list and keep most of the parent keywords collapsed.  As long as the total number of keywords LR is trying to display at any one time is less than the maximum, you won't run into the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

I have type 'winter' into the 'filter text entry box' at top of 'Keyword List' panel and was able to see winter now with the number of pic beside it, but when I went back I was still being able to see until the letter N. 

John, to your suggestion I went into Windows Settings > Display > Scale and unclick a box name scale and restarted my computer. This time, my overall fonts are a lot smaller everywhere on the computer but... now when I open my LRC I can see up to the letter T! So this is indicating me my issue has to be around font size. Now I can't put it smaller then what it is, as it's small on my 27'' screen. Next step is to see how can I have my sidebar scroll further until I see Z?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion was not intended to provide a fix. I was simply suggesting that because you can't see the keyword in the trimmed list doesn't mean that it's missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I got that Ian and I thank you for it. Now that I know it,s a font issue, I need to see how to rectify this.

Thanks Ian!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having issues dragging and droping keyword list into another keyword list for hierachy purposes. For some it works and for some it doesn't??? I'm using the latest version of LRC 12.2 on a Window 11. The way i'm doing it, i'm clicking on a keyword list, hold it , and try to drag it.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem here. Please provide a lot more details, exactly what are you doing, tell us step-by-step. Do you see a red circle with a slash through it? Also please provide the following basic information:

Adobe Forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding my system info, if that can help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't view attachments. Please use the "Insert Photos" icon. Also, do you get a red circle with a slash when you try to drag keywords?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i'm not getting anything at all. LRC is freezing for a couple of sec and then comes back to normal. What's weird is that i'm able to move some and other I just can't!

LRC 2023-02-25 083940.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I follow the link provided and trying the 3rd option (Manualy), i'm not getting what they are showing in the instruction (below) and the instruction seems to be old instruction (Lightroom 6 or earlier)???

Paulou12_0-1677335481083.png

Windows 2023-02-25 092825.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can simply copy and paste the long folder name into your Windows Explorer, of course changing to your actual user name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean copying this one???

Paulou12_0-1677337154801.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also what is strange is when I now quit LRC, it ask me if i'm sure I wan,t to quit, but doesn't bring me the pop-up window asking me to back-up this time like it used to???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the first one you showed and underlined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still having an issue accessing the preference file?

If so, then in Windows File Explorer, click on View, and check the Hidden Files option:

Image 001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About how many keywords do you have? Windows LR can only display so many keywords, and if you have more than that, the Keyword List panel will start getting flakey. You can count your keywords by:

1. Do the menu command Metadata > Export Keywords > Exclude Keyword Tag Options and save the .txt file on your desktop.

2. Open the exported .txt file in Notepad.

3. Do View > Status Bar.

4. Click on the last line in the file and see its line number in the status bar at the bottom.

Before giving you workarounds, let's verify how many keywords you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found my problem :)!

Yes, I do have a lot of Keywords, probably close to 1500 if not more, and that was my main reason to do hierarchy listing. I realize that when I had one of those list expanded, that was the time I wasn't able todrag & drop files in one of them. I spent 4 hrs yesterday with Adobe trying to solve this while they took control of my computer with no luck. They ended up saying they wi=uld heve to do more research and get back to me Monday, but I guess i found the problem!

Thanks everyone for your comments, they were well appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, to work around this longstanding bug, you must ensure that no more than 1500 or so keywords are being displayed in the Keyword List panel.  So keeping most ancestor keywords collapsed is one way to do that.

Another trick is to use the Filter Keywords box at the top of the Keyword List panel.  Suppose you want to drag keyword XXX to keyword YYY.  Type XXX and YYY into the Filter Keywords box, and only keywords containing either of those two strings will be displayed.  Now it's easy to drag.

This is one of those issues that Adobe support really isn't competent to address, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John for the tip!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lightroom CC Group,

I work with newest lightroom 12.21 and bought new 27 Zoll 4 K monitor. Now i got big problems with scrolling down my Catalog till the end. (I have >300.000 images in loads of folders) It always stopp scrolling down to the End of my folders... it depends on the size of the chosen fontsize..... When the fontsize is very small it all works perfect and i can scroll down till the end of my folders but fontsize then is really to small for the view! I can to whatever i want.... When i change windows fontsize or Skalierung, or in lightroom the possibilities, or changing the program setup for starting in windows. Nothing really works correct. I always get new issues. With my old monitor 1920x1080 all works perfect. Is there the posibillity scrolling the folder tree till the end when the fontsize maybe is chosen middle in lightroom. I work with newest Win 11 but tested in win 10 with same issue.... This is really very desturbing!!!

If someone has a solution for me i really would be very happy!!

Regards

Wolfgang

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a restriction/bug in the amount of text that can appear in a scrolling list, and beyond that it doesn't work. The work-around is to use hierarchical folders or hierarchical keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate