Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues when Lightroom handles a print's color profile

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Canon Pixma PRO-200.

When I let the printer handle the color of a print (Or I print outside of lightroom), the colors of the photo look almost identical to my monitor ones (Generally I use my MacBook Pro screen).  When I tell Lightroom to handle the color management, specifying the right paper/printer profile, the images come out with a green cast, specially in the shadows, just as if the white balance tint was shifted to the green side.

Why is this happening?  I would like to have more control over how my prints look like, but right now I have to drift a lot on my screen to have what I want printed if I dont want to concede color management to the printer.

PanPejsek_0-1634299098580.png

PanPejsek_1-1634299297658.jpeg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Well I can tell you one major problem after seeing that last screen capture (Print). The radio button should NOT be on Canon Color Matching but ColorSync if you use a paper profile and Application Manages Color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

@Pan Pejsek wrote:

How could you know this?  

How can I know what? 

NEVER let the Mac OS update a print driver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A green cast is symptomatic of an non-color-managed output pipeline. 

In the screenshot you've posted, you should be selecting the Canon Profile below Managed by Printer. Currently your screenshot shows that you are chosing Managed by Printer. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, once you've selected the Print Profile as @Rikk Flohr: Photography mentioned, go into Printer Setup to make sure it has setup everything correctly including colour management turned off. I sometimes find there is a delay between when you select the profile and the settings appear in the Printer Setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I did not express myself good enough as this seems to be a misunderstanding.

The green-cast photo is a result of me choosing the profile for the paper.  It has happened several times and with different papers (All Canon so far).  Ironically when I let the printer manage the colors, it looks almost identical to what I can see on my screens.

My gut feeling is that the printer and Lightroom are both trying to correct colors for the paper's profile, then it looks so weird.  But I don't know how to check that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Double correction would manifest as a brighter image with a Magenta cast. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed by Printer bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, you need to consider any print template you've made and use as a cause: Start from scratch, configure everything in both the Print Driver and LR correctly, save it as a new template and test. 

Always test color management issues and test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image specific issues causing the problems:

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/pdi_download/
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#TestPrint
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

There is nothing bad per se about Manged by Printer but it isn't ideal. You can forget about soft proofing, picking a rendering intent, and depending on the OS and such, everything might get funneled into sRGB prior to print that isn't ideal. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks promising, as soon as I can I will give these prints a go.

I'm not sure what is to configure in the printer's drivers, as there is nothing related to this in them, or (most likely) I cannot find those settings.

  

Untitled.png

Untitled_2.png

PanPejsek_0-1634406347331.png

PanPejsek_1-1634406380273.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I can tell you one major problem after seeing that last screen capture (Print). The radio button should NOT be on Canon Color Matching but ColorSync if you use a paper profile and Application Manages Color. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could you know this?  I just printed your test file and the same photo from my original post and they look very similar to what I see.

I have also updated the drivers, as i read that MacOS updates may affect them...

Cannot wait until tomorrow morning to check them with the right light!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pan Pejsek wrote:

How could you know this?  

How can I know what? 

NEVER let the Mac OS update a print driver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines