• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with migration from LrC to LR with parts of the catalog

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom since Version 2 and have a subscription to LrC/LR with 1TB. 

I was using LrC for a long while but as LR has catched up with features and I'm using it more on mobile devices I wanted to switch to the Cloud solution. My disk space was very limited anyhow and I wanted to free up some space at the same time. 

I follow the instructions of Adobe however the initial migration failed due to lacking disk space. 

I therefore did the migration in a partial way:

1. I saved parts of my collection as individual catalog in LrC (e.g. all Pictures of 2018)
  2. Then I migrated this catalog (2018) with LR which was successful
  3. I then had both, the original and synced collections and the migrated ones. 
  4. In order to resolve that I went back to LrC and deleted the 2018 photos from the catalog

As a result some weird things happened:

• The photos were deleted from the new albums as well
  • All photos were in the trash of the cloud twice

I went back and restored all photos in LR from the cloud which restored my migrated albums mostly, but a few items were missing (e.g. 100 photos before the migration, now I have 96 and don't even know which ones are missing).

My catalog actually is pretta ok and this partial migration (which I stopped for now) is quite cumbersome. All I want to achieve is having the originals in the cloud instead of my hard drive. 

Where is my mistake of thinking? Shouldn't the migration not break the connection to the files on the hard drive?

All help is highly appreciated. Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large was your catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you please list your computer type, OS, and of course version of LRC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, the catalog consists of 25K photos, roughly 250GB on my file system. 

Mac OSX 12.2, Macbook Pro i7.

I now tried the flow with some smaller folders in another way and it worked more or less:

1. Export Folder from main catalog as individual catalog
  2. Remove photos from catalog (this removes everything from the cloud
  3. Import individual catalog

This seems to work for now. 

When I go back to Lightroom it nevertheless starts syncing all pictures again and downloads them into a local folder, ultimately taking more disk space than before. 
Once I migrated all pictures to the cloud I pan to stop using LrC in favor of LR. Would it be save to delete the downloaded copies then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines