• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JF “Folder Publisher” updating edits possible?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using “Folder Publisher” to create compressed DNG backups of my whole files to push into the cloud with LR cloud (as original files) but also have them available in Classic, because Classic does just download everything from the cloud anyway, if it already knows those files it just links them without redownloading.

My question now is, what happens if I republish changes made to the source files? Will it just update the metadata (this would keep the files intact), or will it create new files (which would lead LR classic to replace them with smartpreviews in the cloud)?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help with your question (sorry), but I noticed my Folder Publisher is no longer installed in my Lightroom and am wondering if it works with the current version of Lightroom Classic?  JF's blog seems to have disappeared from the web.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blog is still there: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks kindly... Every time I tried the link on my desktop I got "not found." Worked instantly on my tablet. Perhaps a security software glitch...
⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteMy question now is, what happens if I republish changes made to the source files? Will it just update the metadata (this would keep the files intact), or will it create new files (which would lead LR classic to replace them with smartpreviews in the cloud)?

By @Wurstkrapfen

Why would you need to republish the images? If the purpose of the initial publish was to create a copy which you then import to Lightroom in order to get the originals into the cloud, once you've added them to the cloud any subsequent changes to the original will sync between LrC and the cloud. Thus a republish would be somewhat pointless, and would have no effect on the originals as Lightroom no longer looks at the original published files once imported (it creates it's own copies for syncing and thereafter ignores the original source).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I told you why, because I made some edits and marked some as rejected that I would like to mirror. 

LR classic is fully able to push edits to the cloud on original files as long as they stay the same files and are regonized. 

That's why I'm asking if folder publisher will update the changes or create new files (dngs not jpgs). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I told you why, because I made some edits and marked some as rejected that I would like to mirror. 

By @Wurstkrapfen

Sorry, I'm really not understanding. If all you want to do is create an exported set of images, and you want to keep that set of images updated with any changes to the originals, then of course using a publishing system works well, and for changes to existing images it replaces the output file with a new updated version (i.e. it does not create a new file, it replaces the existing file).

But republishing will have zero impact on the images that you have synced to the cloud, if you originally imported the published images into Lightroom. Any changes you made to the images in LrC will already have synced to the cloud.

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your workflow here, because using a publish service as a vehicle for getting original images into the cloud in order to replace existing synced smart previews (which I assume is what you are doing) is not something I'd ever have considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines