• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPG compression issues from RAW - Major quality issue from full quality!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community!

Thanks in advance - I am hoping someone can help me out with this issue. I am getting really bad JPG compression artifacts in my full quality exports out of lightroom desktop - not the clasic version. 

See the two samples below - the bee is a recent full quality export. the bever is a prior 1600 px export. 

any advice is very welcome. shooting sony - raw compressed for speed. All images are looking great on camera and in lightroom before export. This bee photo has no edits on it. Beaver is heavily edited. I am running low on memory on my computer is the only factor I can think of. Working on a sufrace pro tablet.

thanks in advance!

DSC07940.jpgDSC07027.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really see 'bad' JPEG compression but this may help (how you've set export):

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Also check the export settings for sharpening. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you looking at it on mobile or desktop?

Maybe this is a better sample. mountains are no issue - older export with similar lighting conditions to the kayaker - which is compressed as hell.  Look at the sky and the water...  its all rings of shades that only show up on export - pre export its flawless... This issue just started it didnt work like this before. DSC03075.jpgDSC07909.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the mountain shot is even compressed to 1600 pixels as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tylers1990772 wrote:

I believe the mountain shot is even compressed to 1600 pixels as well...

I don't understand what you're telling us. 

You can export an image to 1600 pixels with some, a lot or no compression. You resampled to 1600 pixels. Compression, lossly or lossless is a different attribute.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not the most technical - my understanding is if you open a 1600 pixel image up in the same size as a full sized export its going to look far lower quality. 

Please see the latest comment I made for the best example of what is happening - exact same export process but one image is compressed to 537 kb while the other which i exported months ago is 15599kb... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my understanding is if you open a 1600 pixel image up in the same size as a full sized export its going to look far lower quality

Not necessarily. You may be hard pressed to see a difference between a "1600 pixel" export and full size export (or the original). Please read: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help. IfIncase you are thinking "this guy is crazy - " - here is the proper quality of the bee that was giving me issue! Cheers!DSC07940-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you're on the right track, I'm happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I have a perfect example - for some reason  DSC06133- 2 which i exported today is compressed to 537 KB though its the exact same image exported with the exact same settings as when I exported DSC06133 months ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appear to have fixed the problem if this happens for anyone else - go to the preset menu and click export original, then export JPG large. I was previous just working with file type and something must have happened in the back code of the program that was causing a decrease in the quality...

Hope this helps if you're having issues! 

tylers1990772_0-1622861189919.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, LrC? or Lr? That screenshot is not LrC.

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1622950837861.jpeg

GoldingD_1-1622950837862.png

GoldingD_2-1622950837863.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using Lr - is there a benefit to one over the other? I'm on a tablet so Lr has been easier.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no way to answer "benefit to one over the other". It depends on what you want to do. But if you are on a tablet, you can't use Lightroom Classic, you have to use Lightroom, in which case you are in the wrong forum, this is the Lightroom Classic forum, and you should be discussing this in the Lightroom forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines