Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcut to duplicate a mask

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is there a keyboard shortcut to duplicate a mask?
For instance the linear gradient.
I know you can get a new and duplicated mask using shortcut N when you have a sky mask.
But not for the other masking tools?

Thommy

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Or hold down Ctrl + Alt / Cmd + Opt while dragging the pin of mask component to make a copy of it. Also, the Lightroom Queen shortcuts have been updated to include all the mask shortcuts:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

N doesn't duplicate - it creates a new mask with the selected tool. So you have to select the tool/mask component.

Are you aware of the shortcut help? It's the little button on the panel.

SNAG-0033.jpg

What it doesn't list are the drag shortcuts, so Ctrl and drag a mask component and drop it on + - this duplicate the component to a new mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I did know about the shortcut help and it's really helpful.
But when I have a "select sky mask" selected and press N, it creates a new "select sky mask", kind of duplicating the same mask.

But the settings are zeroed out. So I end up with two "select sky masks" without having to select mask component.

thommya63_0-1638979723268.png

Haha - hope my explanation is understandable šŸ™‚

Thommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But the settings are zeroed out. So I end up with two "select sky masks" without having to select mask component.

By @thommya63

I hate that too, so there's drag+Alt+Cmd/Ctrl, and hidden away down at the bottom of the sliders panel is a checkbox. Uncheck it and the sliders would be initally set to values that you had used before.

Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 10.16.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or hold down Ctrl + Alt / Cmd + Opt while dragging the pin of mask component to make a copy of it. Also, the Lightroom Queen shortcuts have been updated to include all the mask shortcuts:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Or hold down Ctrl + Alt / Cmd + Opt while dragging the pin of mask component to make a copy of it. "

And even if it involves the cursor too, that's really the answer.

A keyboard shortcut on its own would duplicate the mask component in the same position, which is sometimes what you want but inevitably becomes awkward when you want to select one or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines