Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Keyword list incomplete

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Description

I use keywords extensively and have created what has now become a long list of keywords; to be precise, 3294 as of today, and still growing. The issue I have is that the list of keywords that are displayed in the right pane in LR is not complete/truncated; Lightroom displays the first 2234 keywords only (in alphabetical order) and there is no way to scroll beyond that.  The count 2234 seems fixed; I tested by deleting or adding keywords before keyword #2234 and the count of visible keywords remains 2234. The exact counts were obtained by exporting the list and counting the lines.

Keywords beyond #2234 are possible to use to a limited extent only. They are still recognized e.g. auto-complete works when tagging photos/entering keywords, however, it's quite annoying as I cannot search/filter pictures tagged with a specific keyword beyond #2234. 

I use LR Classic version 10.3 on a desktop running Windows 10.

I think the issue was introduced when I upgraded from version 9. I cannot remember running across this issue when using version 9.

I have attached two screenshots depicting the issue:

- Keyword pane in LR

- Exported list of keywords

Kindly let me know how to remedy this issue,

Tord Andreasson

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue with Windows. I'm not a Windows user myself, but I believe this can be fixed by creating keyword hierarchies, so you can collapse and expand parts of the list (which would be my advise even if that bug did not exist). Create a (non-exporting if you like) 'Parent keyword' (or use an existing keyword as parent) and drag & drop other keywords on to this parent. Search for the bug report at https://feedback.photoshop.com for more information.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Thank you for the suggestion on how to work around the issue.

Would the limitation of 2234 keywords still be there? 

Best Wishes,

Tord Andreasson

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tord,

I've never bothered to try to count them myself 😉 but having tens of thousands of keywords (organized in hierarchy) I can confirm that scrolling is still limited beyond a certain point.

When a few of the keywords (containing a lot of sub-keywords) are expanded, the list just cuts off somewhere, and even the metadata panel that should be below it is hidden and therefore completely inaccessible. When that happens, I can either collapse some keywords (or the full Keyword panel itself) or filter keywords to reduce the list size. Only then is the Metadata panel visible again.

Definitely an issue, though not a big one for me.

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator (kelmond.com)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tordan58 wrote:

Would the limitation of 2234 keywords still be there? 

Best Wishes,

Tord Andreasson

No, the limitation is 2234 lines in the panel, not 2234 keywords. So by creating a hierarchy that you can collapse, your limitation would be around 1000 parent keywords (you need room to expand a parent keyword), that can each contain again about 1000 subkeywords (which can have child keywords as well). That means that the total number of keywords would still not be infinite, but at least over one million.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Johan's reply, this has been an outstanding Windows LR bug since the beginning, which Adobe has chosen not to fix:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-chokes-on-large-key...

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-doesnt-display-all-keywords.html 

The Keywords panel (and the Folders panel, Collections panel, and the Keyword column in the Library Filter bar's Metadata browser) are all limited in size to 2^16-1 = 65,535 pixels high. The maximum number of lines displayed in the panel will vary depending on the Windows and LR display scaling and the font being used.

As Johan mentioned, the workaround is to introduce hierarchy into your keyword list and keep most of the parent keywords collapsed at any one time.  Reorganizing the keyword list is klutzy at best, made more difficult by this bug. Here's a tip to make it easier:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-chokes-on-large-key... 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, John, Micael,

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge of this bug and how to work around it. In my case that the list of keywords is basically flat as most of them are names of species. I guess I will have to find out a clever and future-proof way how to organize them using artificial groups... hmm...

Best wishes,

Tord

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the first letters of the keywords (A, B, C, ...).  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...organize them using artificial groups..."

Or classify them by taxon. Mine is organized by class, family and genus.

That's a lot of work, though, so you might want to look for an existing keywords list.

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator (kelmond.com)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines