• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Slideshows in LrC on Mac OS Big Sur Won't Load

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ancient Lightroom Classic (v.9) on my ancient MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.13.6 has no problem loading a slideshow containing 14,000 images. In less than a couple minutes, we can airplay a slideshow containing any number of images—and we have a lot!

On my new MacBook Pro running the latest Big Sur OS and the most recent LrC version 10.4, it takes more than 5 minutes for a small slideshow of slightly more than 500 images to load. A collection of 13,000+ takes a lifetime to cache, and then it chokes and dies. 

Every time I've tried to address this with Adobe directly—and this is the third time in two years!—there's been no solution or even acknowledgement that this problem exists. From a lay perspective, it feels like Adobe's ability to play nice with the Mac OS, as in, optimize caching and maximize processing speed, is completely lacking, from one update to the next.

The very same slideshow that doesn't play on my up-to-date and up-to-the task hardware/software configuration has no problem on my old hardware/software duo. I really hope you'll take this issue seriously and address it once and for all.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum:

It's now 2021, and I just updated to the newest version of Lightroom Classic (11.1) on a MacBook Pro (16-inch 2019) running Big Sur 11.6, with absolutely no change in the usability of the slideshow feature.

We've wasted countless hours trying to troubleshoot why an old machine running old Lightroom software is able to load a 14,000 image slideshow in a few minutes while the faster, more robust machine running the latest Lightroom software is barely able to muster a hobble—if it even makes it to the finish line. 

Nowhere have I found any definitive "specs" on Lightroom's slideshow loading engine, like: Is there an image limit? Are there image types or formats that Lightroom just plain chokes on? Are videos or live photos a conflict? 

What does my old system/software NOT have that's making it usable where the new software is untenable? 

I've tried Adobe support, but it was a fuitless loop of wasted time. I don't think Adobe really has a handle on the Lightroom functionality and there isn't enough user interest to incentivize some deeper dev. Still, any advice would be welcome, including if anyone knows a better solution for randomly looping 14,000 images of treasured travels and favorite photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Woops—I meant 2022! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines