• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LET Point to the right Hard Disk if the letter changes

Engaged ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really a pain everytime there is a change in one of my HDs (I have over 12 connecting and disconnecting again with a DAS) Lightroom is not clever enough to see that the HD has the same name although changed letter. So I have to manually reconnect all the folders inside or go to windows management and change letter but this is not easy if the letter is already taken by another disk.

It would be much easier like Davinci. You point where the folders are in the HD of your choice and it finds it. The catalogue is a mess without this feature. Every time I connect drives to search for images, I have to go through this nightmare.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had permanent drive letter for each drive there shouldn't be an issue. This article explains how to assign a permanent drive letter in Windows https://www.windowscentral.com/how-assign-permanent-drive-letter-windows-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link. I took a look and again It is not for me. To complicated if I have to enter on Command Prompt.

Adobe has to start thinking try make things easy and not complicated. In Davinci you point to where the drive is and boom it works . 1 step not 20 like adobe is making us do.

In any case thank you for your answer.

Kind regards

Cristian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to use Command Prompt.

The first method described on that page, How to assign a drive letter using Disk Management, is not complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The problem is that usually when your drive letter got moved up or down is because another drive has that letter , so you have to also unmount it to free that letter up so you can assign it to the drive Lightroom is not finding. And if that letter is a cloud drive like Google drive things get worse as you will disconnect from the cloud and have to reconnect later......you see not an easy task. Yes you can use higher letters for connected external drives but again it would be much easier to just point out to the disk with the new letter and Lightroom sees the same folders and files and be done with it and not do all the cumbersome process to rename drives or reconnect dozens of folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you assign drive letters from the end of the alphabet, you only have to this once, and there will be no more cumbersome processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Now I have 10 catalogues done already with over 250.000 images. Not going to change all the 12 drives letters. What I will do is assign some end alphabet letters to some other drives that are always connected as Google Drive etc so it never happens that when I connect a used HD for cataloguing gets his letter changed because all the ones before it are taken.

But it would be great if in the future you could just point to what drive the images are, (the same way you do with folders) and the problem could be solved in a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines