• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Library / Develop colour profile changes - New Dell 4k Monitor

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been scouring the interwebs trying to figure this out. I've just got a new Dell U2723QE UltraSharp 4k monitor. I'm sticking to the monitor's hardware sRGB internal setting as the foundation. I've set the ICC profile as such within my windows OS Colour Management to match the monitor model. 

So with Lightroom, changing between the Library and Develop modules seemingly changes the white balance colour of the images. If I turn GPU processing off, it stops changing. It upholds an overly blue toned image colour across broth Library and Develop. Turning GPU processing on, the Develop module displays the image matching near perfect to the back of my Canon R5, straight out of camera look, so I'm inclined to see that as the most accurate. But Library view sticks to the blueish tone image. 

Setting 'Photoshop > Colour Settings > Working Spaces > RGB' to 'Monitor RGB' (matching OS Colour Management selection) seemingly gives me accurate white. But that colour profile doesn't work when bringing external edits in from Lightroom which wants to work with ProPhotoRGB, which is what I've always done and want to keep for colour accuraacy with my client's work, etc. Making the Photoshop Color Setting ProPhotoRGB though gives my images the blueish tone as I see it in Lightroom's Library module. When I'm in Develop with my accurate colour and the GPU processing on, the filmstrip thumbnails down the bottom are still with the blue tone. 

To top it off, if I drag Lightroom or Photoshop across to my second monitor, my older HD Dell U2415, the problem doesn't exist. I can actually see the blue tone stay on screen for a second before it transitions! So it's clearly a colour profile communication issue directly related to this new 4k monitor. Is it a monitor setting or a software setting in this case? I've got no idea. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Mostly interested in the GPU info

/edit/ info that followed removed to save clutter, now that author has responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing:

Lightroom Classic version: 12.0.1 [ 202210260744-9e008017 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.19045

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.1GHz

SqLite Version: 3.36.0

CPU Utilisation: 2.0%

Built-in memory: 32719.2 MB

Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 119.0MB / 6043.0MB (1%)

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32719.2 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1660.3 MB (5.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1912.5 MB

GDI objects count: 748

USER objects count: 2683

Process handles count: 3382

Memory cache size: 531.7MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 15.0 [ 1261 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 580MB / 16359MB (3%)

Camera Raw real memory: 536MB / 32719MB (1%)

System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Standard Preview Size: 3840 pixels

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 3840x2160

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (31.0.15.2737)

Init State: GPU for Image Processing supported by default

User Preference: GPU for Export enabled

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic

Library Path: G:\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-4-v12.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Rhyse\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Flickr

3) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (31.0.15.2737)"

That driver is pretty recent, but there's a new one today:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/197396/en-us/

Update to that version and see if the problem still occurs -- it probably will.  If so, then as a next troubleshooting step, see if the assigned color display profile is buggy or incompatible with LR (a not-uncommon issue with manufacturer-supplied profiles).  To quickly test that:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-... 

If you don't see the issue with the sRGB profile assigned, then I recommend calibrating your display, as described at the end of that article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't see the issue with the sRGB profile assigned, then I recommend calibrating your display, as described at the end of that article.

By @johnrellis

So this is essentially what happened. I swear I tried it, but I musnt have restarted Lightroom when I did. Cheers for that. Only thing is, I call BS on the author thinking calibration hardware devices "are now inexpensive". It's like $650 AUD to buy something that would get used barely more than once? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved.

The Datacolor Spyderx is US$130 / A$191 at Amazon & BH Photo:

https://smile.amazon.com/Datacolor-SpyderX-Pro-Calibration-Photographers/dp/B07M6KPJ9K/ 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456247-REG/datacolor_sxp100_spyder_x_pro_colorimeter.html 

"Inexpensive" is relative, of course, but that amount is a small fraction of the total cost of a computer, display, DSLR, and several years of an Adobe subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved.

The Datacolor Spyderx is US$130 / A$191 at Amazon & BH Photo:

By @johnrellis

Hopefully, it's better than the last few Colorimeters they sold. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Dell engineer speciliast on their forums called the Spyderx a paperweight, so I'm disinclined to get one of them. Which means I'm left with the pricer ones unfortunately. It was something to do with my new mnonitor's model and how the screen light is emitted; some technical stuff beyond me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Dell engineer speciliast on their forums called the Spyderx a paperweight, so I'm disinclined to get one of them. Which means I'm left with the pricer ones unfortunately. It was something to do with my new mnonitor's model and how the screen light is emitted; some technical stuff beyond me. 

By @Scyther150

Depending on how old the model is (Spyder 5 and older, at the very least), he was being kind. 

You might find an older EyeOne Display Pro on eBay or such. There are some under $200. As you can see in the screen capture I provided, it correlates very well with a costly reference device costing well over $12K

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (31.0.15.2737)

That driver is fairly new. And is probably not the issue. A newer one exists, but I think it evolves some cybersecurity isues, not performance issues (however you may want to update for security reasons)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines