• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Library module shows different (wrong) color tint than develop module.

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

sounds like an older topic, but I think the behavior is new. Lightroom Classic: The library module has started (I wasn't aware of any updates) to display each image in the catalog with a different color tint, compared to the development module.

The wrong color tint is also already visible in all thumbnail previews at the bottom filmstrip even within the develop module. Also my histogram white curve is yellowish. The image in focus is fine.

Note : this applies to all images in the catalogue and also to images synchronized by LR mobile!

Now I have read some hints here what this could be caused by and what you can do about it.

First it was often pointed out that the GPU acceleration is often to blame for it. So I turned it off and the images now look the same in both modules. But, contrary to all other reports, the develop module image now looks just as wrong as the library version of the image. Easy to see that when I export the image, it looks correct in any other image viewer.

Now I tried to do the thing with the windows screen color profiles. Therfore I have now set a default sRGB screen profile (my lapttop comes with one adjusted one). This indeed has changed the overall appearance, but has not affected the difference in tint: Both modules are displaying images as different as before.

Thats a screenshot from my develop moduel shwoign a b/w images with GPU enabled. Image in focus is correct. Thumbnails are wrong, even the histogram is yellowish wrong, while other UI elements are perfect white (text).

https://imgur.com/a/RjoiAwg

Hardware: I'm using a Surface Laptop 3 withotu any custom color profiles.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

You have a defective monitor profile.

Windows 10 is known to install low quality profiles from monitor manufacturers when doing updates, and these profiles are often defective  out of the box. Lightroom is color managed, and needs a correct and sound monitor profile to display correct colors.

Setting the monitor profile to sRGB (use Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor) will fix the issue, but the best solution is to calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator.

This will also create and install a custom monitor profile that accurately describes your monitor, which will  make sure that Lightroom, as well as other color managed applications, will display correct colors.

With Lightroom closed, press the Windows key + R, type colrcpl in the box and press Enter.

Add the sRGB profile, then set it as Default.

color-management.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not have any effect. Still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you close Lightroom before changing the monitor profile? If not, restart it.

If there is still no change, please post a screenshot of the Color management dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a restart.

color mgmt: https://imgur.com/a/trskgfC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a classic example of a defective monitor profile, and I don't understand why setting it to sRGB doesn't work.

Have you tried restarting the computer? It shouldn't be necessary, but it's worth a try.

Also, make sure that your graphics driver is up to date. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per is right. The brown histogram is a dead giveaway for a defective monitor profile. It's really the only thing that causes that. Somehow windows is not loading the sRGB profile even after you selected it. What about the graphics driver and monitor control panels? Are there any dynamic modes in there that adjust the color temperature of the display based on the environment? 

Also note that setting the monitor to sRGB profile is just a testing measure. It does notn guarantee correct color. The only way to get correct color is to get a hardware profiler and profile your display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

I already tried a lot. I got a screen calibrator and calibrated the screen. The result here was, that the new profile changed the screen color when applied, but it kept the color difference as seen in my screenshot.

I removed and reinstalled adobe cc completely, reset windows with the recovery functionality. I also tried to overwrite the system default color profiles with default ones as they might be corrupted as well (which the windows did not allowed me to do so even as admin).

Well, I guess the last option is to really wipe the SSD and fresh setup windows... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing I can still offer is trying to see if there is an update to the GPU driver. That's really the only thing I can still think of. The color change should disappear if you calibrate or select sRGB for the screen profile. If it doesn't something is off in the driver. You won't necessarily get an update if you check for updates in windows. You probably need to go to the GPU manufacturer's website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and sRGB profile does not fix me the problem. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe your issue in detail, and post screenshots, including a screenshot of the color management dialog.

Also tell us what OS you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. It's quite similar to Mathias' problem. When I try to edit photos on Lightroom, the colors displayed are different in Library and Develop modules. The ones from Library have a yellowish tone, even if they are B&W. The histogram also look yellow/golden. I tried everything related to Color Profiles on Windows Color Management. Change it to sRGB, look up for an sRGB profile updated on ICC, etc. On Photoshop I have a similar issue. Whites are yellow in sRGB and Adobe RGB. I don't know what else I should do. I'm on Windows 11.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a bug in Windows 11 that causes this. If your Windows is up to date, it appears that it hasn't been fixed.

You can try the workaround described here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/many-applications-don-t-inherit-displ...

or roll back to Windows 10. 

Also, read this :https://www.elevenforum.com/t/known-and-resolved-issues-for-windows-11-version-21h2.1617/page-2#post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are employing an external screen as well as the built-in one, bear in mind that Windows colour management is AFAICT still not perfect (to understate things just the slightest smidgen!) at correctly implementing different dedicated calibrations per display. It may in that case come down to ensuring one chosen display is set as your "primary" (in Windows display settings), and not relying on the other display for critical colour or tone, regardless of the colour management Windows may claim to be carrying out for that. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines