In library module, clicking on anything causes a "Not responding error." Also my keywords are all present and recent keywords are present. However, Auto-complete keyword tags is inoperable even though it is checked off in Prefernces>Interface
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1.1 [ 202101041610-8c69aa4e ] License: Creative Cloud Language setting: en Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition Version: 10.0.19041 Application architecture: x64 System architecture: x64 Logical processor count: 8 Processor speed: 3.4 GHz SqLite Version: 3.30.1 Built-in memory: 32728.8 MB Real memory available to Lightroom: 32728.8 MB Real memory used by Lightroom: 5707.5 MB (17.4%) Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 6298.4 MB GDI objects count: 818 USER objects count: 2884 Process handles count: 1991 Memory cache size: 0.0MB Internal Camera Raw version: 13.1 [ 658 ] Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5 Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2 Camera Raw virtual memory: 78MB / 16364MB (0%) Camera Raw real memory: -476MB / 32728MB (-1%) System DPI setting: 240 DPI (high DPI mode) Desktop composition enabled: Yes Displays: 1) 3840x2160 Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No
Have you considered resetting (aka restore) the preference file? This is not the same as returning all preference settings to default (although that may occur as a result of resetting) . Resetting the preference file is Adobe speak for deleting it, whereupon launching LrC a new one is created. The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior. A corrupt preference file will survive updates, upgrades, re-installs.
I tried both of your suggestions (resetting the preference file & upgrading the display driver); however neither of these changes fixed the issues. When I upgraded the display driver, I lost control of the display brightness with the buttons on my PC, so I went back to the original display driver. Also noticed additional problems doing a photo import - no import occurred until I rebooted the PC. Thank.s for your suggestions
I rolled back to Lightroom Classic Version 10.0. The PC freezing issues have completely resolved themselves. The keywording issue remains on an intermitent basis (mostly does not auto-complete previously entered keywords, but occasionaly does).