• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 10.3 deleted images as I was working on them

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep my image files and catalog on an external SSD. Uploaded my files from the card to the SSD, opened LRC and imported them. Worked on them for about 15-20 minutes and noticed several times where my 2014 iMac (w/ 16GB ram) was giving me the spinning beachball. This would last about 1-1.5 minutes and then would disappear. Figuring a restart of LRC might help, quit and restarted. Once restarted the images all showed the "!" and mousing over them gave the "can't locate file" error. I tried to have LRC relocate the file, but when I navigated to the correct folder on the SSD (through LRC) all that was left were the XMP files. All the images files were gone. Navigating to the folder in the Finder showed the same thing. There were no files in the trash.

I re-uploaded the files from the card into the original folder and since the XMP files were there, all my edits were intact. I was able to complete editing the files with out a repetition of the deletion error.

Has anyone experienced this before? I am now reluctant to open up any image files (especially older ones) for fear of LRC deleting them as well. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of this problem and it is weird. Thinking out of the box here, did you import the files into “Dropbox” or the like and it is set to upload the files to cloud storage?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Everything is entirely desktop based. Files go from camera card to external SSD. LR Catalog sits on the SSD as well (so I can access files from my laptop when needed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, have not had this occur.

But..

Sounds like a hardware issue involving a hard drive, Sounds like a sector or more of space got damaged, xmp files were on some other sector. Images would have taken up space on the hard drive before the xmp files.

SSD can break, the are not any more stable than regular drives. In some ways they are less stable, one being for external SSD, the power supply, they do not like poor power.

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/ssd-will-get-corrupted-easily-hdd-case-power-failures/

https://www.remosoftware.com/info/reasons-ssd-gets-corrupt-easily-hdds

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-warning-signs-ssd-break-fail/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By any chance do you publish photos from LR to Smugmug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines