• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom (10.4) maxes out HDD activity for no apparent reason while importing pics.

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom (10.4) maxes out HDD activity for no apparent reason while importing pics. Had to forcibly shut the process down just the get my computer back even thought it was not “open”.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Ok, LrC v10.4
  2. Windows 10? What version?
  3. Do you apply any presets upon import?
  4. What previews are you creating upon import?
  5. Is Face detection paused?
  6. Is Address Lookup paused?
  7. Any unfinished sync to cloud?
  8. Where is the catalog stored?
  9. On the hard drive containing the catalog, how much free space in percent? Looking for 20% or better, some say 25% or better.
  10. In import, what is the method, Copy to DNG, Copy, Add, or Move?
  11. Where are you importing from?
  12. Where are you importing to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No clue on most of your questions. All I have time to tell you is that there
was:

1. Plenty of space on the HDD
2. No changes in my equipment
3. No changes in my process
4. This does not usually happen

Note: My post was NOT a request for support, although if someone from Adobe
Tech Support knows why this might have happened (not just guessing) I'm glad
to speak with them.

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you are aware, this is a user to user forum so the replies you receive here will be users like yourself so it is not often you see responses to your question from Adobe Staff.

See the link below for some guidance.

https://jkost.com/blog/2020/09/importing-photos-into-lightroom-classic.html

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, but unless there is a quicker method to report a bug this is
my go to, going forward. I certainly don't want to talk to front line tech
support, they are generally useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, but unless there is a quicker method to report a bug this ismy go to, going forward. I certainly don't want to talk to front line techsupport, they are generally useless.
By @JAH_1

This is NOT the place to report bugs.

Report bugs here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/ct-p/ct-lightroom-classic?page=1&sort=latest_replie... where Adobe will see it. Generally, Adobe does not read or react to bugs reported here in the Discussion part of this forum, where we are now.

Also, what makes you think the HDD activity is high?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently my bad. I assumed as you were posting into a support community, that you wanted help from the community. I assumed that requesting more info, some very simple questions, easily answered, would be treated as appreciated, and more info would be forthcoming. But, apparently you just wanted to vent about what you think may be a software bug. Mind you, no, it is probably not, it is probably an issue on your end. Note that your problem sounds very unique.

So, I will remember to ignore your posts.

auf Wiedersehen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to confirm a bug, we need to have more information. The posters on the thread have attempted to obtain that information so that we can identify the behavior. This is pretty standard procedure on this forum. 

To confirm a bug - reproducible steps or corroborating posts from additional customers are needed. Can you provide these? 

GoldingD who posted here is likely correct in indicating that this is not a commonly reported problem and may be specific to your installation.  Without additional information it will be difficult to diagnose. 

As this forum is in transition from the previous forum where the information on bug reporting was more detailed, I am providing a link: https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/forum-usability-topics/how-to-reporting-bugs-p.... While not specific to this forum, it does contain good information for making a quality bug report.  We will be revising this for the particulars of this forum.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Flohr,

It is disappointing, but not unexpected, that Adobe does not want to hear from customers reporting potential bugs with your software, unless the customer is willing to “bird dog” the issue for Adobe. Over the last 20+ years I don’t ever remember an interaction with Adobe Tech Support that was a wholly positive experience. Often their inability to understand and speak English well, along with the same work ethic you are displaying here (its somehow the customers problem) is likely the reason.

I intentionally DID NOT tag the report as a “discussion” and its rather unprofessional of you to attempt to alter my intent. If you can’t accept that, please just delete the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, my computer had a problem with 100% disk activity with no IO when I first updated my dated desktop from Windows 7 to 10. This caused a 'brown out' period of a couple of minutes before the condition went away. During this time, the computer was not usable.

As a last ditch effort, I replaced the HD even though there were no errors reported. That fixed the problem and the old drive lives on as an external drive with no problems.

I put it down to undiagnosed issues between Dell, Intel and Microsoft over Intel's outdate on board RAID disk controller with Windows 10.

I mention this because your problem may not be LrC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my case the 100% peg, immediately went away once I got LrC shut down. Even though LrC did not appear to be runnig there it was, a process consuming resources. Shuting down that process cleared the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines