Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 11.0 crashing after saving catalog

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have saved my catalog a couple of days ago, and now when I try to backup this catalog and starts LR it crashes with he following error :

<crash exception="EXCEPTION_UNKNOWN" exceptionCode="0xc0000264" instruction="0x00007FFACCAB2346">

Luckily I had kept a copy of the database on another drive. By placing this copy in the LR directory, I can use this catalog but if I make a backup, the restore of the backup crashes each time LR.

Any idea where this error is coming from and how to fix it?

Regards

Bernard

My environment : Win10, LR 11.0.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure your main catalog is backed up to several places.

Create a new catalog, import some images and see if the problem still occurs.

If it doesn't, try importing your old catalog into the new one. Then see if you still have the same problem.

Also, anytime LrC does strange things, try resetting the preferences.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your help.

This evening I am trying to import my photos in a new catalog from the old catalog.

As you recommend, I first have created the new catalog, imported a few photos and finally saved it and made a restore.

This first step worked fine.

Now I try to import a large set of photos, it takes a lot of time, but I hope the result will be good.

Regards,
Bernard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember, you will not be importing the old photos into the new catalog, You will be in the Menu Item "File" -> "Import from another catalog". At that point, select the problematic catalog file (.lrcat) to import. Good luck. And, it may take some time 🙂

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried to import the old catalog into the new one.

But it crashed with a "Lightroom has encountered an unknown error!" Message.
So I tried, always from catalog to catalog, to import everything except what concerns the year 2021. The process went smoothly.

I have relaunched Lightroom (LR) several times, everything looked okay.

So I tried to make a backup with catalog optimization.

LR launch crashed again.

So I took a backup of the catalog made before the LR 11.0 update. The launch of LR normally led to transforming the catalog to make it compatible with version 11.0.

Everything went well. Consecutive LR launches, no problem. New backup with catalog optimization.
LR launch crashes again.

Wouldn't there be a bug on the LR 11 update?

I have a catalog of 72,000 photos with a fairly large amount of photo development and keyword definition work.

I don't want to start from scratch.

I will try to test with the previous version of LR.

It's already a lot of time wasted looking for the source of the error, without any help from Adobe! Greeeuh!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like very much the same problem I had. 

Combination of version 11.0 and pretty large catalog, so working with a new empty catalog does not help and importing the original catalog leads to the same crash. 

Update 11.0.1 seems to fix it, now working several hours with it and not crash so far. 

In my case support from Adobe was not helpful and even misleading. They must have known that this error was there and that an update was coming. 

Cees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not strictly true. Even if an engineer was aware of a problem, it doesn't mean that information has made it all the way to the front line. No support worker knows everything or has access to all the information. If they did, they'd be writing books and making videos instead. 11.01 came out quite fast, so there may not have even been time for specifics to filter down the chain to support. And then there's the other aspect, not all support workers are equal, which is why there's contstant training and quality checks. 

I'm sorry your time seems wasted with support, but they probably did the best with the knowledge they had to hand. At least the issue seems to be resolved and of course deemed serious enough for a .01 release.  

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version seems to solve my problem. ( Finally, my research and pointing a bug was correct.)

Too bad Adobe is not sent at least an alert in order to avoid wasting time.
I do not count the number of hours spent looking for the source of the error.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's good to hear your problem is solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines