• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 11.1 and whole system freezes if I import more photos and videos (300 files) .

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I keep running into an issue, that after trying to import more photos (more than few hundreds), whole system freezes and after system restart I always get MacOS message:

--

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe0015f3f84c): watchdog timeout: no checkins from watchdogd in 94 seconds (91 total checkins since monitoring last enabled)

Debugger message: panic

--

Importing in smaller batches seems to help, but it is very unpractical.

I have a new Macbook Pro 14 with Monterey 12.1 and Lightroom Classic 11.1.  Switched from Win 11 to MacOS to get more reliable experience, but this never happend on Win before.

Anyone experienced this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the source of the files you are trying to import. From camera? From card in reader? Files already on a drive?

Just a few minutes ago, I was setting up my new MBP M1Max. I was able to easily and quickly import many folders at a time, some with more than 1,000 files. These files were already on the 2TB internal drive.

LrC V 11.1 Mac OS 12.1

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing from internal SD card reader.

It is really strange. I don't have many other programs installed (basically only Office, Google Drive Sync, OneDrive Sync, ESET antivirus, Chrome, Slack, WhatsApp). Other than that notebook is basically totally clean. I might start disabling all the programs running, if it helps, but if I wanted to do something like that, I might have stayed on Windows.:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try importing from the internal reader this afternoon. 

Try copying all the files from the card to the folder where you want them with Finder. See if that makes a difference.

You might try activity monitor to see how everything is using the cpu when you try the import.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tomas, I just ripped of 500 20MB raw file in my Nikon D500. Fortunately, it shoots at 10 frames per sec 🙂

I was able to import them all into my new MBP 16" M1Max 64GB ram in 1 minute and 20 seconds, including building the default previews of 3456 pixels. I used a Lexar Professional 1000x SD card speced at 150 MB/sec read speed.

I had no glitches at all.

Maybe you should have an Apple store check out the machine for proper operation of the SD card slot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might find the culprit. I tried to disable Google Drive sync and just do an import and it worked ok with about 600 files. It seems that there is some issue with how Lightroom writes backup files and how Google Drive reads them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Tomas, Glad you figured that out. It's good to know your solution as others may have the same issue. I do not use any online storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whole system crashes, when performing CPU intensive tasks such as importing, are very often hardware problem. The most likely culprit is that your computer is overheating, and then shuts down. You need to check your cooling system to make sure that all elements are working properly, and vaccuum out the case (if you can open it) and make sure all vents are unblocked, and that the vents are not up against a barrier (such as a wall).

Adding, it is hard to imagine how use of Google Drive could do this, unless it increases the load on the CPU, and I don't think it does, except in a trivial sense compared to the load on the CPU because of doing an import. Anyway, if you have found a solution, I make this post for others who may have similar system crashes without the use of Google Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All excellent advice DJ. However, the OP said he is working on a new Apple M1 MacBook Pro which is not likely to have cooling issues yet 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
All excellent advice DJ. However, the OP said he is working on a new Apple M1 MacBook Pro which is not likely to have cooling issues yet

And yet, I disagree. Hardware can malfunction at any time. Yes, hardware is less likely to malfunction on a brand new computer, but still possible.

In my opinion, cooling system failure is still the explanation that best explains the symptoms. Yes there are other possible causes, but my paradigm is you investigate the most likely cause first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines