Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 11.5 develop module slow on powerful PC but fast on old MacBook

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been using the same catalog and configuration both on my old MacBook with an integrated Intel Iris Pro and on a Windows 11 Dell XPS with a GTX 1650 Nvidia card.

While photo export is way faster on the PC the smoothness of the development module is nowhere near the MacBook one. Curves are especially bad, making the curve edit so slow it's almost unusable.

I've enabled all the graphical accelerations on the GTX 1650 but nothing has changed.

Am I doing something wrong?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact actions in the Develop Module are slow? All of them? Or just some of them (if so, please be specific)?

Please tell us your hardware configuration by going to Help->System Info in Lightroom Classic and do a screen capture of it and then use the "Insert Photos" icon to include this screen capture in your reply (do not attach files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the develop module is quite stuttery but usable, curve editing though is painfully slow (I move the curve and the preview updates after almost a second while on Mac was smooth and the preview changed while I moved the curve).

I'll send you the screenshot as soon as I'll be back home. It's a Dell XPS 15 7590 with 4K OLED display running Windows 11 22H2 with an i7-9750H CPU and both an Intel UHD 630 and Nvidia GTX 1650 GPUs (the performance tab in options shows that Lightroom correctly recognises and uses the full acceleration from the Nvidia one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also what is the size of your original images in pixels or megapixels (not megabytes)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some 12 mpixel images from an old Canon 5D, and some 36 mpixel images from a Nikon D810 and some 26mpixel ones from a fuji X-T4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now I am going to say something that may upset you.

I don't think this computer is "powerful". According to the benchmarks I can find, I would not consider either your CPU or your GPU fast by today's standards, and your Dell may be using a 4K monitor (is it?) and some relatively large images (36 MP) — all of this adds up to potential slowness in the Develop module. If you are doing a lot of local adjustments, this exacerbates the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahahah, well yeah, it's not a huge workstation but it still way more powerful than my now broken MacBook that I used until a

few days ago. And there, with the same catalog and files it worked perfectly.

This is also demonstrated by the export time being almost halved on the PC compared to my MacBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahahah, well yeah, it's not a huge workstation but it still way more powerful than my now broken MacBook that I used until a

few days ago. And there, with the same catalog and files it worked perfectly.

This is also demonstrated by the export time being almost halved on the PC compared to my MacBook.

By @gio91ber

If your old MacBook was using a 1920x1080 screen, that makes a huge difference in develop module speed, it could be indeed that the MacBook is a lot faster than the PC in the Develop Module, if your PC is using a 4K screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines