Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map Module not working 11.3.1 on some Windows installations

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 21H2

If you shut down Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 with the Library Module showing, then re-launch later, the Map Module works fine.

If you shut down Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 with the Map Module showing, and then re-launch later, the Map Module is not usable. The exact form of the error changes, its not always the same, sometimes I get JavaScript error, sometimes the Map Module just freezes, other times it has other errors, but the Map Module simply doesn't work in this situation.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Try going to Library, then exiting LR.  After restarting LR, does the Map now work?  Many on Windows, and a few on Mac, have observed that the Map module can start behaving badly if you last exited LR from the Map module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Adding bug number

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you it work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had the problem with the Map Module not working - not just a Windows issue byt Mac too. ( Mac 12.5, LRC. 11.4.1) The Map Module inexplicably stopped working. Only way to get it again was to close LR from Library, reopen and then go to Map Module and it works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migrated from LR6 to 11.4.1, and adding GPS coordinates through the map functionalities does not work. Nothing happens, no errors thrown. I do see all the photos prior to the upgrade on the map. Running on a MacBook 12.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
As far as I'm concerned, it's also quite regularly the case with the same symptoms [LR Classic 11.4.1 - MacOS 12.5]... the only solution I've found is to quit and then restart the application !
Sincerely

Balliet JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people, including some Mac users but mostly Windows users, that when you exit LR from the Map module, the next time you start LR the Map module won't work.   So go to Library, exit LR, and restart it: Does the Map module now work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had closed LR yesterday, started it up this morning wanting to try out your suggestions, and it works right away. Could indeed be that I was always closing LR while in the map module. Will pay attention to how I close LR from now on and hope this indeed is the solution. Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-map-module-not-working-11-3-1-on-some-window...

Also, please change the title to remove "Windows" -- there are at least five reports now that it happens on Mac, and the same workaround of exiting from Library works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, as expected, I can report that the latest update of Lightroom Classic, 11.5, has failed to fix this bug which is now persistent through versions 11.3, 11.3.1, 11.4, 11.4.1, and 11.5. The map module does not work without reversion to version 11.2.

Exiting LRC from something other than the map module does NOT fix the problem. The map module does not work in any circumstance.

I have tested this behavior on three different windows machines from three different manufacturers (two running Windows 11, one running Windows 10), including across multiple locations and networks (a home desktop, a work desktop, and a laptop which I have tested in multiple places, including outside the United States when I was traveling last month).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still a problem for me too on 11.5, running latest version of Windows 11 on 2 separate machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too see the same misbehavior in my Windows 10 LR 11.5 as on 11.4.1: When I exit and restart in the Map module, usually but not always, the map pins are not showing on the map, and attempts to drag a photo from the filmstrip to the map fail, with the dropped thumbnail bouncing back to the filmstrip.   But for me, exiting from Library and restarting avoids the bad behavior.

The misbehavior isn't occurring on my Mac OS 12.4 LR 11.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I had the same issue on my 2020 M1 Macbook Air.  I tried closing lightroom and restarting but had no effect. Then after finding this I closed lightroom from the Library (Grid View) and restarted and dropping the photos into the map then worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two more months, another new version, the error still persists. This error which prevents some computers from using the map module, with a "Adobe Servers Cannot be Reached. Map Module Will Not Work" Message (or something to that effect) was introduced in version 11.3 and has persisted through version 11.3.1, 11.4, 11.4.1, 11.5, and now 12.0. 

Exiting LRC from something other than the map module does NOT fix the problem. The map module does not work for me in any circumstance in any of those versions, across three different computers and versions of the Windows operating system.

Reverting back to version 11.2 fixes the problem, so it is not a general incompatiblity issue, it is something specific to a change made between versions 11.2 and 11.3 which Adobe has been loathe to acknowledge, let alone fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously I had the reported problems with LRC Map module.  I have just updated tp LR12.0 (on Mac Monterey 12.6).  Initially the map module would not work, the road to satellite map would not chnage and photos could not be seen/added.  I opened the Library module and existed LR.  

I reopend LR and the Map Module appears to work just as it should.  I can see previosuly mapped photos, add new mapping and chnage the map/scale as commanded.

I then closed LR whilst in Map Module and reponed LR.  It opened in Map Module and it appears that the functions are as they should be.

Not exactly an exhuastive test of a bug but in my limited expereince is seems to be OK.  Am I alone in this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my LR 12.0 / Windows 10, I continue to see the same intermittent misbehavior as I reported with 11.5:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-map-module-not-working-11-3-1-on-some-window...

"I too see the same misbehavior in my Windows 10 LR 11.5 as on 11.4.1: When I exit and restart in the Map module, usually but not always, the map pins are not showing on the map, and attempts to drag a photo from the filmstrip to the map fail, with the dropped thumbnail bouncing back to the filmstrip.   But for me, exiting from Library and restarting avoids the bad behavior."

It sure smells like a race condition that affects some more than others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic (version 12.0.1, via paid CC subscription) and the Google Maps is only working intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just stays grey (doesn't work, but no error messages), and sometimes it will say "Ooops! Something went wrong. This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details.". I've tried all different internet connections, VPN on and off, restarting the computer, restarting the app, it's all a bit random whether it works or not. What is the JavaScript Console it is talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Maps has been getting flakier the last few years.  One workaround that helps many: Exit LR from within the Library module, restart, then go to Maps. When you exit LR from the Map module, it often has problems after restarting LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, that did work this time. Will see over time if that's a solid workaround. Thank you!!

Perhaps it's a bug where if Lightroom immediately loads up in the maps module, it is not ready to contact Google Map's API, and thus it gets rejected. Where as if Lightroom loads up the Library, then by the time you click on the Maps, it is ready and loaded and can successfully contact Google Maps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Perhaps it's a bug where if Lightroom immediately loads up in the maps module, it is not ready to contact Google Map's API, and thus it gets rejected. Where as if Lightroom loads up the Library, then by the time you click on the Maps, it is ready and loaded and can successfully contact Google Maps."

That's certainly possible, or perhaps a similar timing-related problem.  It happens often on Windows for many people, infrequently or not at all on Windows for others, and less frequently on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a whim today I tested LRC 12.0.1 on a computer I don't use very often. I had tested some of the previous versions on it and had seen the same bug we've been reporting for the better part of a year. Today, the bug wasn't there and the map module worked as expected. I've now tested it on my primary computer and LRC works properly there as well.

I don't recall if I'd tested 12.0.1 previous to this (I had definitely tested 12.0 and the bug was still there). None of the bugfixes listed in 12.0.1 (https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-12-0-1-is-now-availab...) seem to relate to this problem, but it may finally be resolved. The other possibility is it was some sort of backend/server issue which was resolved outside LRC itself.

Interested to see what others find, but it'd be great if this fix persists after >8 months of errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't seen this behaviour before, but this has just started happening on me using LR 12.0.1 on Windows 11 Pro (Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621).

Changing to Library module before restarting LR does not fix the issue for me (I have tried repeatedly).

Disappointing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

seit ca. 1 Woche wird in Lightroom Classic die Karte regelmäßig nicht geladen (siehe Screenshot). Teilweise tritt das Problem bei Bildern mit GPS-Daten auf, teilweise bei Bildern ohne Daten. Es ist allerdings nicht genau nachvollziehbar, wann der Fehler auftritt. Manchmal können GPS-Daten bearbeitet werden, manchmal nicht. Manchmal hilft ein Neustart, manchmal nicht.

Die Lightroom-Version ist aktuell (12.1, Build [202212072312-d7ab524b], meine Windows-Version ist Edition Windows 10 Home, Version 21H2, Installiert am ‎28.‎05.‎2022, Betriebssystembuild 19044.2364, Leistung Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0.

matthiass68219431_0-1672566292893.png

Hat jemand eine Idee, was ich tun kann?

Danke im Voraus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Konnte bei mir bisher keine Probleme feststellen.

Deine Internetverbindung ist stabil?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A recent problem was that when you close LrC with the Map Module showing, then next time you open LrC the Map Module won't open properly. If you close LrC with the Library or Develop Module showing, then the next time you open LrC the Map Module works properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ja, die Internetverbindung ist stabil, bin dauerhaft online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, dj_paige, this was helpful!

I closed LrC in Map Module and next time I opened LrC the map didn't load properly. Then I changed to Develop and closed LrC, reopened and back to Map Module it works perfect. Thanks again! Seems to be a bug though.

Votes

Translate

Translate