• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 12 cannot Add Photo(gray text)

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Mac Studio macOS Ventura 13.1.

After upgrading Lightroom 12.0, it will happen that when reading the USB external hard disk, you will not be able to choose "Add" photos (gray text), but only the options of Copy and Copy to DNG, but I have been managing my own folders before, and I need them "Add" function.

After trying, after opening Lightroom Catalog.lrcat on the external hard disk, this situation will also occur. It is impossible to "add" photos from the external hard disk. Even if you move "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat" and its folder to the system hard disk immediately, There is no way to change this situation.

In addition, I also adjusted the permissions according to the settings in "Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS", but it still cannot be resolved.

Unless you format the drive, which is the only way I know, but after a while, maybe because of some operation (whether it is Apple format or EXFAT), the same situation will still be triggered.

Just like the two pictures below (the English translation of the options may not be correct), I also found that in the "Read photos and videos" option, the source field will distinguish between "Device" and "File". "Device" column will not be able to "add" photos, what is the reason?

1671901646859.jpg

1671901669670.jpg

  

I reinstalled to Lightroom 11, there is no such problem, but I have to give up the imported photos and new version functions of Lightroom 12.

I have been troubled by upgrading Lightroom 12 until now, is there any way to solve it?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Your second screenshot shows that you have selected a folder called 'DCIM'. That is the standard name for folders on a camera memory card (I think DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages), which may be the reason why Lightroom refuses to let you use 'ADD'. It thinks that this is a memory card.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you click on any of the sub folders:

1671901646859.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo selected is the option to "add" the photo.
If there are pictures or videos imported, they will be displayed on the right.
And I can choose "增加" at the top, which means you can "add" photos.

But the device for the other photo just doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your second screenshot shows that you have selected a folder called 'DCIM'. That is the standard name for folders on a camera memory card (I think DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages), which may be the reason why Lightroom refuses to let you use 'ADD'. It thinks that this is a memory card.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for answering my question, it is indeed a "DCIM" question.
After I remove the folder DCIM, this situation will not occur.
It seems that Lightroom 12 has a new mechanism to determine whether the root directory has DCIM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines