• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3.2 Release Candidate Available on Adobe Labs

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This release includes camera support, bug fixes and new features.  Details here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2010/08/lightroom-3-2-and-camera-raw-6-2-available-on-adobe-...

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Lightroom, Camera Raw and DNG Product Manager

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 200 Replies 200
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still seem to be having issues with a difference between the Develop standard preview and the Library standard preview.  As I mentioned in a post several weeks ago, the sharpening applied in Develop is not accurately shown in the Library standard view.  When zoomed to 1:1, the sharpening is apparent.

I did try rebuilding the preview.

Windows 7 64 bit - Lightroom 3.2 RC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no AVCHD = FAIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hpmoon wrote:

Still no AVCHD = FAIL

Not really, considering that video support is merely a convenience that the majority of Lr users can't use or don't care about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clvrmnky wrote:

hpmoon wrote:

Still no AVCHD = FAIL

Not really, considering that video support is merely a convenience that the majority of Lr users can't use or don't care about.

Says you.

And anyway, if that's how Adobe feels too, then they can stop marketing the upgrade fee to Lightroom 3 for adding video support as a key reason to fork over more dollars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just reading that if you rename the AVCHD to something Lr does support, you can at least import them and launch them, albeit sans thumbnail. As a work-around, you can create your own thumbnails. I know you want native support, but until then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, it's not something I'll try as I'm waiting for full support but it's good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get good output from the Lightroom Slideshow module export to MP4 at 1920 x 1080p

In fact the playback (only in Windows 7) is higher quality than the Lightroom internally generated slideshow previews; perfect for showing clients.

An external video editor is helpful but not essential and AVCHD and its logo are trademarks of Panasonic corporation and Sony corporation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clvrmnky wrote:

hpmoon wrote:

Still no AVCHD = FAIL

No, only the selfish LR users who live in a non-existent world where stills cameras and video cameras are not the same devices and are ignoring the fact photography is changing, particularly for pro shooters who LR was aimed at would say that!

You have such an old fashioned 20th century luddite way of thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay what is AVCHD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hamish niven wrote:

okay what is AVCHD?

Advanced Video Coding HIgh Defintion.  Basically a Video coding format, compatible with BluRay and used in Camcorders which can record 1920x1080 HD video.  A follow on to DV and MiniDV formats.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayS In CT wrote:

hamish niven wrote:

okay what is AVCHD?

Advanced Video Coding HIgh Defintion.  Basically a Video coding format, compatible with BluRay and used in Camcorders which can record 1920x1080 HD video.  A follow on to DV and MiniDV formats.

Jay S.

And a format that seems to be very popular on many camera models, hence the number of complaints that LR does not support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed 3.2RC on laptop and so far seems identical to 3.0 in it's sluggishness.

But how much of that is due to crappy Apple software I do not know, as 10.6 is more Slug Leopard than Snow Leopard.

Bridge was faster on my 7yr old single core XP PC than it is on my 1 yr 17"  dual core MBP with twice the RAM.

I'l try later on desktop, but to say I'm a bit fed up with lacklustre software is a vast understatement. I have a huge project to finish off with over three months of photographing 15hrs a day and there is no way I'm going to even start on this when I cannot even go through the  images to shortlist without seeing the dreaded loading icon whirl around for 6-9 secs if zooming in to 100% in Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to minimize your plight, and please ignore if you already know all this - but have you tried rebuilding all the 1:1 previews?

6-9 seconds sounds more like a "raw rendering time" than an "already rendered load time".

If you render all the previews ahead of time, they should load in the library in 2-3 seconds or less instead of 6-9 - which may still be too slow for culling large shoots and is why some of us sometimes use a different tool for that (ones that just display the embedded jpeg as fast as possible) before even importing in Lightroom. (I use ViewNX, but I've heard of IrfanView and there's another for mac).

win7-64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imajez wrote:

I've just installed 3.2RC on laptop and so far seems identical to 3.0 in it's sluggishness.

But how much of that is due to crappy Apple software I do not know, as 10.6 is more Slug Leopard than Snow Leopard.

Bridge was faster on my 7yr old single core XP PC than it is on my 1 yr 17"  dual core MBP with twice the RAM.

I'l try later on desktop, but to say I'm a bit fed up with lacklustre software is a vast understatement. I have a huge project to finish off with over three months of photographing 15hrs a day and there is no way I'm going to even start on this when I cannot even go through the  images to shortlist without seeing the dreaded loading icon whirl around for 6-9 secs if zooming in to 100% in Library.

Imajez,

Are you on 10.6.4 or 10.6.3?  I rolled back to 10.6.3 pretty quickly after 10.6.4, and have been avoiding the update since because I thought it added even more headaches to LR 3.  When I get a chance I'll copy the boot drive to an external and try applying it again there on the 3.2RC, but again, I was very underwhelmed with 10.6.4.  I'm not sure if others are running the latest Snow Leopard without issue.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayS In CT wrote:

Imajez,

Are you on 10.6.4 or 10.6.3?  I rolled back to 10.6.3 pretty quickly after 10.6.4, and have been avoiding the update since because I thought it added even more headaches to LR 3.  When I get a chance I'll copy the boot drive to an external and try applying it again there on the 3.2RC, but again, I was very underwhelmed with 10.6.4.  I'm not sure if others are running the latest Snow Leopard without issue.

Jay S.

Laptop still on 10.6.3. Desktop was upgraded to 10.6.4 and immediately returned to 10.6.3 as 10.6.4 was so awful. But SLis generally underwhelming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An articulate, well constructed comment, conveying your thoughts on a minor feature you would like to be included in a photography app.

Well done, I am sure the team will fall over to put this in for you now.

hpmoon wrote:

Still no AVCHD = FAIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you rendering/loading/preview/cache gurus - I've got a question for you.

Some timings:

Time to load image for develop: 1st time: 10 seconds, subsequent times: sometimes 3 seconds, sometimes 10 seconds. After exiting Lr and restarting, always 10 (these are approximate).

I assume the 10 seconds is for a full rendering, and 3 is to fetch it from the ACR cache. Is this correct? Begging the question that if the 3 seconds is for loading from the cache, why can Lightroom not reload the same images from cache after restarting, and why does it sometimes take 10 seconds even without restarting when the image hasn't changed?

Further testing - I purged the ACR cache, and now just switching back and forth between the same two images, Lr3.2RC is always taking the full 10 seconds, and always creates a new entry in the cache - just switching back and forth between the same two images. So, from this, I conclude that there is still a bug in ACR cache handling, on my system, its re-rendering and filling the cache when it should be reusing cached entries.

Now, I've moved the ACR cache to a 8character-no-spaces folder in the root of my system drive and its working properly again (3 seconds to load an image thats already been viewed in develop mode - and in that case no new cache entries).

I'm afraid to touch it now that its working the way it should... I'll make an official bug report though.

Lightroom version: 3.2 RC [689365]
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
Version: 6.1 [7600]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Physical processor count: 2
Processor speed: 2.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 4095.5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 4095.5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 940.3 MB (22.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1005.6 MB
Memory cache size: 557.8 MB
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few more hours of use - Lr3.2RC is definitely working better than Lr3.0 did for me, examples:

- Now that Lightroom is using the ACR cache properly, develop rendering times are down (since its not re-rendering unnecessarily) - dunno if this is an Lr3.2RC thing or if I would have gotten the same improvement by moving my ACR cache when I was running 3.0 - but in any case its not a problem anymore (although there is still a bug in there! - it just isn't biting me at the moment).

- Develop hasn't gotten part way through rendering, then blinked and decided to start over again - like it used to sometimes.

- Develop is showing a reasonable preview whilst rendering a "better" one, instead of just being all blurry.

- Develop hasn't refused to display rendered changes - sometimes it used to not update the rendered image on the display so I'd end up cranking the sharpening up & up until I realized it wasn't showing me the sharpening increases.

- Paint brush hasn't shown the "several second" delays that it used to sometimes (not always).

- Before / After develop view switching is much faster.

- The program hasn't slowed to a crawl, generally accompanied by excessive RAM consumption, yet.

- Lr3.2RC has only crashed once so far.

Summary: Its too soon to tell whether any of the problems I think are better will "re-emerge", but definitely some things are better than they were.

PS - I know software engineers sometimes either don't know or can't remember what all they've fixed as they've worked on things for X months. You can be sure that the list of "fixed bugs", wherever that was posted, is far from complete. And, you can be sure they've induced a few new ones while fixing the others...

==================

2010-08-11 Update #1:

-----------------------------

Part1 - Lr3.2RC still using ACR cache when it should, but has slowed down in develop mode switching between photos - takes several seconds for cached photo to be loaded - accompanied by a freezy-pause thing and/or a spinning blue ring, and sometimes a stutter... before it finishes its business... Restarting Lr did not help, nor did restarting my machine - which are the only things I tried. I did backup/optimize my catalog between the time it was working good, and the now not-so-good behavior - dunno if there's a connection...

Part 2 - After further testing, I've discovered that switching photos in develop mode is much faster at 1:1 than at fit size. I would have thought there would be some preview loadable as quickly, or more quickly than at 1:1, but thats not how its working for me at the moment. Its like its willing to load the 1:1 preview from the cache for developing, but insists on recomputing the image anew for fit view each time.

Part 3 - I could have sworn it was loading fit-size photos quickly in develop mode there for a while, but now its back to slow ~ 15 seconds (when already cached), at 1:1 its more like 3-4 seconds. Yep, its faster again. i.e. fit-size load times are usually slow (~15) but sometimes fast (for the same photos) ~5-6 seconds. So, there is an intermittent bug here - I will report.

Summary: As long as ACR cache is being employed properly (and there is a bug that was keeping it from being), 1:1 switching in develop mode is fast (3-4 seconds). Fit-size switching has a bug whose symptoms are significant lag in switching speed (~15 seconds).

Fit-size viewing in library has been quite perky once previews are built - less than one second. And 1:1 viewing in library is fairly perky (5-6 seconds once 1:1 preview is available). All stats are for non-cropped 12MP images from D300. - My system specs were given in a previous nearby post.

-------------------------

2010-08-11 Update #2:

-----------------------------

Library switching at 1:1 is now going much faster than it was - less than one second. Previously it was 5-6 seconds. (I'm talking about re-visiting after the preview has been created). It just occurred to me that sub-second timing is probably because photo is in RAM and is not being loaded from disk at all. Still begs the question of why is the behavior so inconsistent, and why is it so much slower to load a 1:1 view in library than develop. I assume in the later case Lightroom has to compute all the library stuff that it doesn't have to compute for develop, but 2-3 more seconds to initialize library panel views for a single photo seems excessive.

Summary: Lightroom has the potential to display 1:1 library previews very quickly, but there is still a bug or two that slow it down. - will report now.

-------------------------

================

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have addressed a lot of my issues thus far. I'll being putting it to the test over the next week as I attempt to make up for lost time and production. Thanks for the RC version and I'll post my findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this need to be uninstalled, or will LR3 need to be uninstalled when the non-RC version is released?  Does ACR 6.2 work with CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the fact that the bug list does not announce any of this, I'm very happy to report that LR3.2 RC seems to run quite a bit snappier in many ways. Local edits are still slower with an image that already had a lot of tweaks applied compared to applying them on a fresh image, but overall the performance seems to be much improved.

Its still early days and I'll have to do some real work but so far it looks very promising. Thanks for the release candidate!

The stuttery cursors of the spot removal and red-eye tool are gone as well. Nice touch. I now have an idea why it had been these two cursors that were different. They are the only ones which may need to change mode if the cursors are run over previous applications (i.e. there has to be a collision test with round shapes other than the handles). In my current testing I noticed that said cursors sometimes can become stuck completely and only move on after a slight pause. I think this is a new bug as I haven't seen it before. Hope it is not Lua garbage collecting. Moving the cursors around shouldn't really be a problem even if there are some collision tests to be performed.

A bug I reported about the spot removal tool not working well in corners also appears to have been addressed.

I've only done a very quick test so nothing is definitive but indeed looks promising.

The only issue that might have gone worse is the jerkiness of scrolling through the grid mode with the scroll bar. It wasn't great before but I now seem to experience more frequent and longer pauses in updating the grid. Please, everyone compare the (on my system jerky) way the scrollbar moves the grid to grabbing the grid with the mouse (move the cursor on a line between images and it will turn into a hand). If you move the mouse while having grabbed the grid, the updates are smooth and allow visual tracking of the images while they move. The movement with the scrollbar is so jerky that I cannot visually track the images as they pass by.

Note that scrolling with cursor keys is very fast without pauses but the movement isn't smooth (jumps with the image height) so again visual tracking is hard.

I have an idea why the scrollbar is as decoupled from the grid movement as it is, but I hope that there is room for improvement. I'd be prepared the grab the grid even though that would mean precision manoeuvres with the mouse, but unfortunately, you don't really get far with this method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TK2142 wrote:

The only issue that might have gone worse is the jerkiness of scrolling through the grid mode with the scroll bar. ...

I see the same effect. The most puzzeling thing I see is this: Open picture in Library and pick 3:1 magnification. Once rendered grab the picture and drag it around. On my PC this is pretty smooth. If I do the same in the Develop module the picture jerks all over the place.

Now, I am not a Photoshop expert, I really started using this when CS4 came out and had the same jerking around problem in magnified views. Until some helpful soul pointed out to turn on OpenGL Drawing. Lightroom does not have that. The $60 million question here is: Why not?

Anybody?

BoKo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dpick2 wrote:

Will this need to be uninstalled, or will LR3 need to be uninstalled when the non-RC version is released?  Does ACR 6.2 work with CS5?

The release notes indicate that the RC will be installed in place of Lightroom 3.0.  The release notes say that if you want to go back to Lightroom 3.0 then you can uninstall the RC and reinstall the original Lightroom 3.0.  Judging from the way the RC installation worked, when the Lightroom 3.2 final release is available it will automatically overwrite the RC.  If that isn't the case then it will be noted otherwise in the release notes.

Lightroom does not use ACR.  But everything in Lightroom will match what ACR 6.2 supports.  The release notes indicate that Lightroom 3.1 was skipped in order to align Lightroom and ACR as far as the version numbers are concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess wrote:

dpick2 wrote:

The release notes indicate that the RC will be installed in place of Lightroom 3.0.  The release notes say that if you want to go back to Lightroom 3.0 then you can uninstall the RC and reinstall the original Lightroom 3.0.  Judging from the way the RC installation worked, when the Lightroom 3.2 final release is available it will automatically overwrite the RC.  If that isn't the case then it will be noted otherwise in the release notes.

Lightroom does not use ACR.  But everything in Lightroom will match what ACR 6.2 supports.  The release notes indicate that Lightroom 3.1 was skipped in order to align Lightroom and ACR as far as the version numbers are concerned.

On a Mac, the RC version installs alongside 3.0 not in place of.

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines