Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3 Serial status checking, activation & deactivation

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I own a boxed retail version of Lighroom 3 which im in the process of selling on eBay since i no longer use it and its been unistalled from my system a long time ago.

I currently using Mac OS Mojave which im not even sure supports it, on top of which is the fact its the first CD/DVD ive tried using on my mac pro in years and i think the cd drive has died anyway!

So, Ive logged into my Adobe account online but cannot locate it on my product registrations, leaving me slightly worried and unsure as to whether its serial number is still activated or deactivated and what will happen when i sell it to a buyer.

Please can someody advise as to my best course of action?

Many thanks

Phil

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We cannot answer questions about your account (as we are just other 'users'), but here is some Adobe info-

Transfer an Adobe product license

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 3 did not have activation. The installer checked the serial number and that was all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats good to know. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Johan

Do you happen to know what this means happens now if/when the buyer tries to install the software?

I assume it will still come up with a box to enter the serial number, but will the serial number still work and will the software still install correctly?

Many thanks

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selling LR3 makes no sense in my opinion. LR 3 is over 10 years old, doesn't support the recent version of operating systems and don't work with the RAW files of modern cameras.

LR3 is a case for the museum. 😉

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I doubt anyone will even want to pay for shipping the CD.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i already did sell it, for £55, which does seem to be around the going rate on eBay, give or take. 

The buyer seems to be under the impression he can use it to gain some sort of upgrade discount to a more recent version, which i find highly doubtful, considering its 10 year old software, but there you go. If all he intends to do is install and use it on a very old operating system then he'll be fine.  

Anything else and Im guessing he may be disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He will be, because there is no upgrade to buy either (unless he finds that on eBay too).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Well i already did sell it, for £55"

Quite honestly, that's a rip-off and not something to be proud of. It's worth £5 at most, and that's stretching it. Did you at least inform the buyer that this is not upgradeable in any way, and will not work with any new computer or post-2009 camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly i received a private message from Adobe CUstomer Service asking me to get in touch with them regarding the issue via an email address, which i duly did, but have since heard nothing back anyway. Very odd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no version of Lightroom for him to "purchase" in order to get a discount using the older version. Lightroom and Lightroom Classic are now only available by subscription. And there is no discount for having had a previous version. The benefit from having a previous version is that the catalog can be upgraded and integrated into Lightroom Classic. The purchaser of the Lightroom 3 literally wasted his money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I must confess Im slightly confused.

I came on the Adobe forums to get knowledgeable answers from (hopefully) knowledgeable people regarding licence handling.

I didnt expect to get judged on my morality for selling something on eBay.  eBay is an open marketplace for people to buy and sell for whatever price they are comfortable with. Theres no arm twisting involved and certainly no false advertising on my part.  But thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not judging you. I'm just stating the fact that the purchaser wasted HIS money, purchasing an old version for the specific purpose of expecting to get a discount. Obviously, that person isn't aware of Adobe's marketing plan. There isn't a version of Lightroom to purchase anymore. If that person had done their research, and understood how Lightroom is marketed, they wouldn't have spent so much money for such an old version. But that is your fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, was referring to D Fosse to be honest. I understand your point and no, its indeed harldy myself at fault. It could be that the chap actually does want to use LR3 to be fair to me and yes, the boxed retail versions do generally sell for £35-55 on eBay, sometimes more, Id guess to people who do not want to get into the whole subs model and only need the functions of the older LR versions. Horses for courses after all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines