• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.7.1 to Lightroom - can't migrate catalogue

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a bit of a renaissance in with my photography after upgrading from a Nikon d700 to the z6ii.

Was using the final purchasable non subscription version of Lightroom which I think takes me up to 5.7.1 (when I select 'check for updates' I get none available)

This version doesn't seem to be able to be able to process the z6ii raw files, I did a bunch of reading which seemed to point to needing a later version of camera raw - I tried downloading and installing the latest which looked like it worked but Lightroom refused to update it in the programme itself, seems I've maxed out at Camera Raw 8.4 or soemthing.  I tried a few workarounds with converting the RAW's outside of  Lightroom and then importing, but it's just too much of a faff.

So I decided to give the 7 day Lightroom trial a go and after playing with it I like and have decided to switch to the new world!

Did a bunch of reading to prepare for the migration, cleaned up my meta data, spent ages putting tags on photos to at least be able to retain the folder strucutre I'd built up over the last 10 years. Cleared out an external hard drive so I'd have space to hold whilst pics upload to the cloud.

I then went to do the migrate and got a pop saying migration not avaialble for this version of Lightroom. It seems I need to have Lightroom 6 or later to be able to do this - ughhh!

I've done a bit of searching, but can't seem to find a solution - I assume I need to upgrade to 6 or higher and then this will then allow the migrate function, but is this possible without having to buy a new/old version of Lightroom Classic just to be able to migrate to Lightroom.

I'm running this all on a Mac Pro upgraded to latest Catalina.

Any help much appreciated

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you ran afoul of Adobe's dumb marketing decision to rename their Lightroom products. Your old Lightroom 5, perpetual, has evolved into what Adobe now calls Lightroom Classic, latest version being 11.5. Adobe produces a cloud centric product they now call Lightroom, it has also been called Lightroom Desktop, and Lightroom Ecosystem Cloud Based, nickname Lightroom Cloudy, or my favorite Lr POS. Current version is 5.5.

Lightroom Classic uses a catalog on your hard drive, Lightroom (cloudy) uses a Album on the cloud. Lightroom is less capable than Lightroom Classic.

If you selected the Adobe Lightroom Plan, then you have just Lightroom (cloudy). To get Lightroom Classic, you need, typically, to select the Photography Plan. The Photography Plan includes Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom, and some odds and ends. The Lightroom Plan only includes Lightroom (cloudy). Their is no plan for just Lightroom Classic. The Photography Plan comes in two flavors, 1TB, and 20GB of cloud storage. 

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for that explanation guys - honestly how the rebranding got through any process without someone declaring it an absolute crock of $h!t I'll never know. Although from lots of reading over last few weeks I've just about got my head round it!

By the sounds of it, if I switch to the Photography plan, I'll then be able to get myself up to Lightroom Classic 11.5 through which I'll be able to drag my old perpetual version catalogue into the new world, and then when that's working I then have the option to migrate myself onto Lightroom (cloudy)

Fingers crossed and thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreeing with @GoldingD the whole process is extremely simple if you subscribe to the Photography Plan which includes Lightroom Classic. If you subscribed to some other plan, you can change it at account.adobe.com, click on "Manage Plan"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines