• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 Support for Nikon Z9 RAW pics

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Lightroom 5. I just acquired a Nikon Z9. I shoot NEF files - Nikon's RAW. Does LR 5 have a driver that supports enjusting Nikon Z9 NEF files?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the old Lightroom v5 from many years ago, the perpetual license Lr. then No.

The Nikon Z9 would require Lightroom Classic (LrC) v11.0

or

Lightroom Ecosystem, Cloud Based (Lr) v5.0, a.k.a Lightroom Desktop, and nickname Lightroom Cloudy.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Workaround would be to use the Adobe DNG converter, or a third party DNG converter.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

P.S. for a explanation of current Lr vs LrC, see:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what MacOS you are running you may not be able to use the DNG converter either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that out - I tried to install the Converter but I was on an OS release that was 1 version too old. Ironically, I have refrained from staying current on OS because Lightroom 5 will not work with the newer OS version. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and allow myself to be held hostage each month by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do indeed decide to subscribe to an Adobe Plan. be aware:

The Adobe Marketing genius's (not) a few years back decided to rename the product line. They were going for the smartphone generation. As such they decided keeping photos on the cloud, and keeping what they then called an album on the cloud, would be more appealing to the younger mobile media generation.

So, they went and pulled the Mobile part of Lightroom out, formed it into a cloud centric application, and then (the genius part) called it Lightroom. The old Lightroom you are used to became Lightroom Classic.

That's a bit simplified read on that.

End result, when you go and look at the Adobe plans, you will  see a Plan called Lightroom. That is not Lightroom Classic. That is not the application you are used to. This gets many people tripped up and unhappy. What you probably want is not lightroom, but Lightroom Classic. And Adobe does not offer a Lightroom Classic (only) plan. You will probably want the Photography Plan. (includes PS, LrC, Lr, Bridge)

Also, be aware, and this also fouls some up, problem with reading the small print. You can subscribe either monthly or annual. BUT, in either case, you are on the hook for a year. Should you decide to stop the subscription, and you are paying monthly, their will be a penalty. If annually, I do not remember, but I suspect, your pre paid annual payment will not be reimbursed. Note that they used to give a itty bitty discount for Annual. Annually has a small advantage on how long a grace period exists should your computer not be able to contact Adobe servers when authentication time comes up (monthly), So read the small print (it changes, and can be different in different markets)

Also, be very very aware of the current system requirements. Many older MAC's are no longer supported, Windows older than 10, basically no longer supported. And increased requirements for GPU. See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Be aware, that Adobe has a poor habit of not defining the limitations of a minimum system requirements. If you GPU does not have enough VRAM, or is fairly old, or especially, if you do not actually have a true GPU, then several features will not work. And actual RAM, they state 8Gb Ok, but no, it is not.

Also be aware, if your system is not up to snuff, the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App (used to manage, install, etc) will not present you with the latest. It might show a previous version as available, but that only goes back two versions, for older, you would contact Adobe (a pain)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't thank you enough for the info and warnings. I had planned to take the trial version and see what happens before purchacing anything. I hate that they didn't honor the pricing plan I started with and went for the money grab. Again - Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, I have refrained from staying current on OS because Lightroom 5 will not work with the newer OS version.

Why do you think that? I'm running Monterey, and I currently have both LR4 and LR5 installed successfully on the system. Sure, some things will no longer work, e.g. Maps, but the basics still seem OK. So you could upgrade your OS so that you can install and run the latest DNG Converter in order to process the Z9 files on the old obsolete LR5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - I was told I couldn't upgrade but never verified it. Glad to hear. This gives me the option I was looking for - run a Converter so I could avoid Adobe's money grab - monthy fee structure. Thank you so much for sharing. You have just saved me some money. I run High Sierra now and will upgrade a step at a time to see how it works. Again - Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and allow myself to be held hostage each month by Adobe.

If that's your point of view, don't do it. You will hate it. Having the new Lightroom Classic will not be worth the unhappiness.

I point out that I do not feel held hostage by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines