Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6.0 breaks on startup when logged into Creative Cloud Desktop

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have owned Lightroom 6.0 for many years and recently logged into Creative Cloud Desktop for unrelated purposes.  The CC app actually showed that it recognized my two licensed and installed Adobe desktop apps (per the attached image), but if I am logged into Creative Cloud Desktop before starting Lightroom, then the latter will show its splash screen, its main window will begin to initialize and then it will exit without a warning.

I can login to Creative Cloud Desktop after Lightroom has been running and not experience any obvious conflicts. Also, simply running the Creative Cloud Desktop app does not trigger this issue: I must be logged in for Lightroom to have a problem starting up.

It's not currently a big deal for me because I am able to work around this, but seems like a bug unless there is something unique in my Windows 10 environment which might somehow help cause this condition to trigger.  So, I'm curious if this is a known issue, because I wasn't able to find prior reports through searching.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Lightroom v6 (Perpetual) does not have any Sync with Cloud capabilities.

And do you have a subscription to the Photography Plan (20GB) that would give you access to Lightroom-Desktop (Cloud version)?

With the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App running- your Lr6 (perpetual) will be in 'Subscription' mode on a 30day trial, if the trial has finished already you will be locked out of Lr6.

Lightroom 6 End of Support

Lightroom 6 - SYNC - ADOBE CEASED

If you want to stick with Lr (Perpetual) you will ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom v6 (Perpetual) does not have any Sync with Cloud capabilities.

And do you have a subscription to the Photography Plan (20GB) that would give you access to Lightroom-Desktop (Cloud version)?

With the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App running- your Lr6 (perpetual) will be in 'Subscription' mode on a 30day trial, if the trial has finished already you will be locked out of Lr6.

Lightroom 6 End of Support

Lightroom 6 - SYNC - ADOBE CEASED

If you want to stick with Lr (Perpetual) you will need to clean all Adobe files from your system and re-install (with a Serial Number). CLEANER TOOL LINK 

If you want v12.1 of your "Lightroom 6.0 for many years" then you need a subscription to the Photography Plan (20GB). 'Old' Lr6 is now called Lightroom-Classic v12.1

$9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob_Cullen,

It was not at all obvious that my perpetual license Lightroom 6 would suddenly be considered in "Subscription" mode simply because I logged into the Creative Cloud Desktop app in Windows.

Some months ago I needed to reinstall my Adobe apps - all of which are perpetual license (i.e., Lightroom 6, After Effects CS6, Photoshop CS6) - and when checking in my Adobe account it told me that I had a "Free membership" to Creative Cloud, leading me to install the Creative Cloud Desktop app:

Adobe account CC ad.png

I suppose that ad was a bit misleading, because it never implied that my re-installed Lightroom 6 (perpetual) would then be enforced as the subscription version.

Curiously, the Creative Cloud app does not seem to affect my ability to run After Effects CS6 or Photoshop CS6, only Lightroom 6.

Since I'm not interested in upgrading to the Adobe Cloud, I guess that means I can uninstall the Creative Cloud Desktop app at this time, with no ill effects and no lost benefits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TBMK Lightroom v6 was the one App, and only one, that coud be installed as 'Perpetual' or 'Subscription' modes, whereas the Creative Suite Apps only required Activation (without the CC Dsktop App). It was with the upgrade to v7 (aka Lightroom-Classic v7) did Lightroom go fully subscription only.

A 'Free' Adobe Creative Cloud membership is available to anybody that can allow anybody to use the [Free] Adobe Bridge App, but it does 'lock you in' to then subscribing to other Apps- all licensed by Adobe under the Creative Cloud.

I cannot think of any other Photography app 'parcels' that are better value than the Photography Plan (20GB).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines