• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6.12 installation on a new iMac (M1 Chip, OS Big Sur) ?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a standalone version of Lightroom (6.12) and need to replace my old iMac (late 2011). Is it possible to install LR 6.12 on the latest iMacs (Apple M1 chip, Mac OS Big Sur)? I do not want to subscribe to CC. Thank you for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Lightroom Classic forum from Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to install LR 6.12 on the latest iMacs (Apple M1 chip, Mac OS Big Sur)?

By @defaultntc136cxukqu

Unfortunately no. Subscribing to a Cloud plan is your only option on Big Sur.

The current version of Lightroom Classic now runs natively on the  M1 which means its performance is hugely improved compared to running it through Rosetta 2 on M1 or on an Intel-based Mac.

https://petapixel.com/2021/06/08/adobe-launches-native-apple-m1-support-for-lightroom-classic/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the word 'hugely' is one that overstates the improvements.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT91t7rQ77Q&t=813s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. Perhaps I should have added "According to Adobe". "Significant" or "notable" may be more accurate.

The Mx line of chips certainly signals an exciting future for Apple hardware though. Be interesting to see how Intel responds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5 and thereore LR6 run under Big Sur on this end, albeit, I'm not using an M1 chip. Map's is broken but that's not due to Bug Sur per se. I don't know if LR6 would run under Rosetta but I can't understand why it would not. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install LR5/LR6 on Big Sur or did you already have LR5/LR6 installed and then upgrade to Big Sur from Catalina?

Upgrading the operating system with Lightroom 5 or 6 already installed is the only way that works that I'm aware of due to the 32 bit installer making installation on Big Sur impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot install under Big Sur as the installers are 32 bit. But you can boot off a 32-bit OS, install, then reboot and run under Big Sur. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for clarifying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines