• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 Classic wont launch

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been maybe a month since I last used Lightroom, and today it wont launch. The splash screen shows, followed by a swift exit. No error message.

So far as I know its version 11.3.1 - thats what Creative Cloud manager tells me (since I just reinstalled from my original download of the setup file).

Windows 10  64 bit
OS Build: 19043.1645

So far I have tried:

1) Sign out from creative cloud and back in again -no change
2) Rename SLcache and SLStore folders
- gave me a message telling me to reinstall

3) I've uninstalled, then reinstalled - no change

4) open while holding down shift+Alt to delete the preferences file - no change

5) Refreshed the Microsoft C+ libraries and restarted - no change

Other installations in the intervening month: MySQL Workbench.

Any other ideas?
Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Yeah, Adobe's marketers really confused things with their repeated name changes, and the Creative Cloud app further confuses with its incorrect labeling of LR 6. No need to apologize.

A number of people have reported recently that versions of LR 6 prior to 6.14 have suddenly refused to launch.  Some have reported that updating to the last version of LR 6, 6.14, fixed this.  You can download 6.14 following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/update-lightroom-6-0-to-6-14/m-p/10819370#M170107

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your title says Lightroom 6 won't launch. The text of you message indicates you are using Lightroom Classic 11.3.1. Which is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 Classic desktop
But Creative Cloud desktop gives me the version of my Lightroom 6 as 11.3.1

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as "Lightroom 6 Classic desktop"

Are you launching Lightroom Classic from the Creative Cloud application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Result is the same whether launching from within Creative Cloud, windows menu, or taskbar
Please see attached - from my creative cloud app
¬Lightroom Classic 6

lightroom6.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud app mistakenly labels a LR 6 installation as "Lightroom Classic", e.g.

johnrellis_1-1651872478364.png

Click the three dots to the right of Lightroom Classic and do Other Versions.  Then post a screenshot of the window that appears, something like this:

johnrellis_0-1651872357602.png

Seeing all the details in the screenshot is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you - but - I don't have 'versions'. here are the available options from the 3 dots:

lr6-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"since I just reinstalled from my original download of the setup file"

Did you buy Lightroom 6 many years ago and get a serial number?  Or do you pay for a monthly (or annual) subscription to Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Originally bought LR4, then 5, then upgraded to 6. Yes, all with serial no.
Its not a big enough part of what I do to make it worthwhile having a subscription when the version I have does everything I need.  Its worked fine for years, and now suddenly it won't start.

Apologies - apparently it isn't 'classic' - but that is what Creative Cloud labels it as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Adobe's marketers really confused things with their repeated name changes, and the Creative Cloud app further confuses with its incorrect labeling of LR 6. No need to apologize.

A number of people have reported recently that versions of LR 6 prior to 6.14 have suddenly refused to launch.  Some have reported that updating to the last version of LR 6, 6.14, fixed this.  You can download 6.14 following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/update-lightroom-6-0-to-6-14/m-p/108193...

Even if you think you've already installed 6.14, give this a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thats brilliant - it worked. Thank you so much for the great advice, very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem. Where do I find this screenshot in the creatve cloud???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sandraj32479605  It gets complicated! More information from you about you 'System' would be needed for an answer.

So some notes-

Lightroom v6.0 for some people is reporting "Not starting" (in Windows OS). Lightroom v6.14 seems to overcome the "Not Starting".  (Download only from Lightroom 6 (CC 2015) Direct Download Links - ProDesignTools )

You cannot install v6.14 with the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. If the Desktop App is installed v6.14 is converted to a Subscription version "CC 2015". Without a subscription, v6/CC2015 will only be a 30day trial.

Please include the following in your question:
Adobe product and Version number.
A Screenshot of the info panel from MENU: Help/System Info...
Operating system and Version number

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem and have been unable to resolve it with all the advice above. This includes installing using the following exe from ProDesignTools:

https://prodesigntools.com/prdl-download/Lightroom/60BA1251F1BC48B8B82B1B63AE8E620E/1552643270580/Li...

I have a perpertual licence that I registered 4.5 years ago.

It was working until a few days ago. A few months ago, I had to replace my hard drive. After that, I was successfully using Lightroom. As part of getting the new hard drive, a bunch of software was installed, including Adobe Acrobat Pro (trial version). I did not use that because I was using WonderShare PDF Elements. A few days ago, I had a need to use Adobe Reader. When I tried to install it, it failed saying I already had Adobe Acrobat (which I had forgotton about). So I unistalled Adobe Acrobat, and installed Adobe Reader. It seems that something I did during that process has caused Lightroom to stop working. As others have reported, I see the splash screen but then it closes with no errors.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking a guess here-  If you have installed Adobe Acrobat Pro from the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App then your install of the 'old' Lr6 will have converted to a 'Subscription' version, with a 30day Trial.

You may need to clean all Adobe apps off your system with CLEANER TOOL LINK and then re-install 'old' Lr6 with your Serial Number.

And you will certainly come up against 'Activation' problems.

You have not stated your OS Version or Number, so answers are generic.

v6 is Falling Apart- Petapixel article

Lightroom 6 End of Support

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rob_Cullen Thank you very much! That has resolved the problem. I guess that, eventually, I will be forced to the cloud version, but I have over 60000 photos with a very rich and deeply nested set of hierarchical keywords, so I suspect it will not be an easy transition. Anyway, I like the local workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"eventually, I will be forced to the cloud version, but I have over 60000 photos with a very rich and deeply nested set of hierarchical keywords, so I suspect it will not be an easy transition."

Upgrades from older versions to the newest Lightroom Classic subscription version almost always go very smoothly -- Adobe has always been very careful with catalog upgrades.  I've been upgrading since LR 3 (we're now LR 12) and have encountered only a couple minor issues that had simple workarounds.

Not that there isn't a single "cloud version", there is "Lightroom Classic" (the traditional folders-based Lightroom) and the "Lightroom" cloud family of products.  Thank the overpaid Adobe marketers for the perspicuous naming.  See this article to help you understand the differences:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines