• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom 6 crashes when opening program (after recent windows update)

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows did an windows10 update.  It was a week or so since last opening up lightroom. Lightroom 6.12 would open then crash after about 5 seconds.  No error, no pop up window, window just closes.  

I did some searching on this support community site and found a link to 6.14.  I downloaded and installed it.  I ended up with the same result.  I thought to maybe go back to a previous windows restore point.  No luck  there as windows said I didn't have a restore point saved.   I am at a point where I need help.  Do you have any suggestions?   Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Blair

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked to see if a lock file still exists? Lr create a lock file upon launch, it deletes it upon exit, that is unless it crashed. If the lock file exists, then you cannot bring up the catalog.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

be very careful about what file you delete.

P.S. do you have a backup of your catalog?

Do you have a backup of your photos?

They are separate backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD,

I tried the steps outlined in the link you shared and unfortunately it didn't work. 😞

I posted a video below of what happens when I try to open Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige.  I have tried your suggestion and unfortunately it didn't work.  😞    thank you for the suggestion!

I am going to try the lock file next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately the lock file resolution didn't help either.  below is a video of what is happening and how long Lightroom stays open until it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated “ unfortunately the lock file resolution didn't help either.“ 

Ok, so you tried and did not succeed, did you find the folder with the Catalog and was there a .lock file present? Did you delete the the Lock file? Provide some clarification.

If possible provide a screen capture of the contents of the folder with the Catalog .lrcat.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I note your images are mostly badged with the Map icon.

Maps has ceased to work in Lr6.x

Face Recognition also does not work in Lr6.x- in fact it will crash Lr6 if it has been turned on.

With obsolete software you are "swimming against the tide."!

https://laurashoe.com/2020/12/31/lightroom-6-people-view-crashing-the-end-of-the-road-draws-nearer/

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-version-6-crashes-i...

https://petapixel.com/2020/12/24/adobe-lightroom-v6-is-falling-apart/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines