• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 crashing [after updating to Catalina]

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro updated and now Lightroom keeps crashing. Apple says they can't help. I called adobe and they said they can't help either. So just desperate for some help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MacBook Pro updated

@trista22037167408v Updated to what? Which operating system are you running?

If you're not sure, click Apple menu, About This Mac for details

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201581

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina. My laptop is pretty old, so that's the newest version for it. I'm currently trying to covert back to the precious software, Mojave, and see if that will work. Hoping it's just a comparability issue. Just backing it up first just in case!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@trista22037167408v I assume you mean that you already had Lightroom 6 installed and just updated to Catalina?

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, Lightroom 6 will not run on macOS Catalina or later. This is due to changes made by Apple in their recent operating systems. There is no workaround.

The only way to run Lightroom 6 is on Mojave or earlier.

If you want to stay with Catalina and run Lightroom, you'll have to subscribe to a Photography Plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok!! That's what I was hoping was the issue. If I go back to the previous software, maybe it will work then I can make a plan for the future!!! This would be good news. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 will run (not perfectly) in Catalina and in fact, I'm running (again not perfectly) LR5 on Monterey. 

You can't install LR5 or LR6 under either as the installers are 32-bit but the installed applications are 64-bit. 

Neither are supported. 

As to a possible 'fix', try resetting your preferences. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 will run (not perfectly) in Catalina and in fact, I'm running (again not perfectly) LR5 on Monterey. 

Yes, correct.

Pre-installed Lightroom 6 will run (not perfectly) on Catalina and later if the operating system was upgraded from pre-Catalina.

Lightroom 6 cannot be installed on new Macs running Catalina or later which never had Lightroom 6 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIG difference (what can run and what can be installed). 

Installing if you're running Big Sur or Monterey; easy: Boot off an external drive with an older OS that supports a 32-bit installer. Then reboot into the newer OS. 

This may be confusing to *some* and as stated, isn't accurate: 

"Unfortunately, as you have discovered, Lightroom 6 will not run on macOS Catalina or later".

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BIG difference (what can run and what can be installed). 

Fair enough @TheDigitalDog . Point taken. Should have said installed. I was thinking in terms of newbies. Booting off external drives is usually not an option for them.

I'll word it more precisely in future. Thanks for clarifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines