• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 won't import Canon RAW Files

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a Canon 6d Mark ii camera and discovered that my version of Lightroom 6.0 will not import the Canon RAW files.  I tried to upgrade and install plugins to no avail.  An Adobe representative told me this program is no longer supported so there was nothing he could do.  I managed to find and install the Adobe DNG converter, but was wondering if there was any other way to import the RAW files directly to lightroom without going through these additional steps.  Also, does anyone know if converting the RAW files to DNG and then back to RAW degrade the files in any way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG is a raw format, so you don't lose anything by converting. 

I assume you mean version 6 of that is now Lightroom Classic 12. You chould be on 6.14 to have the latest version of the perpetual version-which as the rep says, is not longer supported. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, but it is no longer possible to upgrade to 6.14.  I have tried. 

Will the DNG files have all the same data as the original RAW if I export them directly from lightroom to an external drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the DNG files have all the same data as the original RAW if I export them directly from lightroom to an external drive?

By @R.230631910vmv

Yes (and somewhat no) as outlined. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 6DMkII was supported from LR 6.12. The last free update to LR 6, called 6.14, is available here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This upgrade will no longer install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What error are you getting? If the machine supports it, it should install. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error is that the program is not supported on this machine.  It appears that since Adobe quit supporting v6.0, it won't allow updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What machine, please supply actual Operating System and version number.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a download of  the complete install version of 6.14 from Lightroom 6 End of Support 

This should install in Windows-10.

Do NOT have the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App installed, as this converts you to a subscription basis.

Starting with a 'clean' system can often help with installing- The CLEANER TOOL can remove old detritus preventing your install of v6.14

Version 6.14  requires activation via the internet, active installs are limited to two. If you strike activation issues check this forum thread Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you much. This link appears to have solved the problem. I think I
tried a dozen others with no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, when converted properly, the raw data inside a DNG is as raw as the original. But you cannot convert back to the proprietary raw, and any proprietary metadata in that format, which isn't of any use in LR/ACR isn't understood. 

So if you ever think you'd go back to Canon's raw converter and if you ever thing the proprietary metadata could be used, then while the raw sensor data is the same, what you've lost by converting isn't; the proprietary metadata for Canon's converter. Questionable if that's at all useful, but that's up to you to decide. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew,

The DNG Converter has an option to embed the original raw file within the DNG, and extract same at some future time/date.

embed-original-raw-in-dng.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew,

The DNG Converter has an option to embed the original raw file within the DNG, and extract same at some future time/date.

By @Ian Lyons

Yes but I'd never use it or recommend it. 

Now your DNG is twice or so as large since you've embedded that raw into it. I'd simply archive the original raws elsewhere IF I decided I'd want that document (and no, I don't). A nice option within the LR import too; move it onto another drive, leave the DNG smaller and as is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines