• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 won't open Mac 10.15.5

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did no computer updates but one day last week lightroom 6 stopped opening with no error code. I'd click the app in my dock, it would flash and then nothing. Thought I might need to finally upgrade so subscribed to LrC and Lightroom CC, installed them both but my original catalogues won't open in them. Then thought I'd try uninstalling LR6 but now I can't install it again because it's out of date. Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't re-install Lightyroom 6 on OS X 10.15 or later. Apple does not allow the installer to run, as the installer is a 32 bit program.

When you say LrC won't open the LR 6 catalog, what happens? What is the exact word-for-word error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom on your Mac. Lightroom 6 and older versions are not compatible with macOS Catalina. Please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html#Arelegacyorperpetualv...

You can try opening the Lightroom 6 catalog with the latest version of Lightroom Classic and it should prompt you to upgrade the catalog. Once the catalog upgrade is complete, you should be able to access the images and edits from the catalog.

If you are facing issues doing that or if you are getting an error, please share more details (possibly a screenshot of the error) and we would be happy to help troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had my lightrrom 6 installed and working on my Mac Big Mur 11.1 and I havent used it in months and now i went to go use it and it won't open. Is this the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently faced the same issue of LR6 not opening on my MacBookPro and I seem to understand from this thread that it is due to the program not being supported with more recents OS (I am on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7).

What are my options in order to be able to use my catalog again?

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated as I spent a considerable amount of time on editing as you can imagine 🙂

Thanks !
Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What are my options in order to be able to use my catalog again?

Option 1: Subscribe to the latest version of the software, which as of today is Lightroom Classic 12.4, part of the Photography Plan at $9.99 US Dollars per month. You will be able to continue to use all of your work in your Lr 6 catalog.

Option 2: Download the free trial of the Photography Plan, this will enable you to use Lightroom Classic 12.4 for free for 7 days, during which time you can export all of your work out of Lightroom, for possible use in other software

Option 3: use other photographic software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you've been told, you cannot install LR6 under Catalina. But if you install it with an older OS, it will run (within reason, it's unsupported). I'm running an old copy of LR5 under Catalina (Maps is busted but otherwise, seems OK). IOW, LR5 and LR6 can run under Catalina if installed prior to the upgrade. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the install of LR v6 is a lost cause, moving on to

so subscribed to LrC and Lightroom CC, installed them both but my original catalogues won't open in them. 

Why not? What occurs when you launch a old catalog?

First up, locate using Finder, your catalog. As you had some issue, check for a lock file and deal with that. Then double click on your catalog.

What should happen, is LrC should launch, it should note that your catalog is in need of an update, you select yes, LrC copy's the old catalog, gives it a slightly new file name (adds a suffix) and opens the new catalog, this is required as the database engine is different.

about lock files:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

be very very careful.

about Lightroom Classic upgrades causing catalog updates:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-upgrade-catalog/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines